December 31, 2005

Happy New Year 2006!

Today we took a drive out into the countryside to just spend some time in nature. We like to take leisurely drives and we do it pretty regularly. Both DH and I love to look outside and just watch the cars pass by, look at the houses alongside the road, and stop off for a quick hike or to sit and eat lunch. There is always something interesting to see and getting out in the fresh air is always refreshing.

Our drive today took us up to Barlett Lake (about 45 minutes from home). It was a lovely day, a bit cool and somewhat cloudy. The sun peeked in and out of the clouds and cast shadows on the nearby hillsides. We ate lunch first and then headed out. We hiked by the lake, took a side trip over to Horseshoe lake to watch all the people fish for catfish, and then just settled in at the beach and relaxed.

Our objective today was to spend some time in nature and think about our goals for 2006. It is amazing how quickly this year has zoomed by. It seems like just yesterday we were enjoying summer and then before we knew it, the holidays were upon us. I know that time marches on and that it is constant but it does seem to move faster at certain times of the year.

Well, while DH and DS played by the lake, I sat and took some photos of them. I marvelled at how tall my son is getting. He is nearly as tall as his mother and is growing like a weed. He is handsome (ok, so I am his mom) and is turning into a real 'looker' so says his grandmother. He is a joy to both is dad and me and we love the time we spend together.

Looking at him playing by the lake and throwing rocks into the water (don't all boys do this?), I started thinking about my goals for our school next term and what I would like to see us accomplish. We are on target with our curriculum and will finish most everything by mid-May. I guess one of the things that I really would like to see us do this term is to dive a bit deeper into some of our studies. We read a lot of books and while we do read them slowly and purposefully, we don't always take the time to think about them each week. I also would like for us to study art and music history more closely. Our curriculum, Ambleside Online, provides an artist and composer to study each term. We usually just do a quick study and then move on. I would really like to spend some time studying the particular movements and the artists who developed out of them. But I guess most importantly, I just would like to see my son continue to blossom and bloom, right where he is planted. God has blessed him with natural gifts and homeschooling has been a wonderful process for us both. I want to see him continue to be challenged, continue to grow and develop, and to continue to exercise his brain in ways that are new and exciting to him.

Our drive ended about an hour ago and we all settled back into our routine. I am on my computer, blogging; DH is on his checking mail; and DS is on the work machine, reading his email from cousins.

Happy New Year to you and yours...I wish you all a wonderfully and mightly successful year...doing whatever you do!

1 comment:

HowGreatADebtor said...

Happy New Year to you and your family, Carol. Enjoy the journey.

Colleen in Wis.