January 19, 2006

Changing Horses in the Middle of a Stream

Changing horses in the middle of a stream
Gets you wet and sometimes cold
Changing faces in the middle of a dream
Gets you old
Oh, gets you old.
Looking farther than you'll ever hope to see
Takes you places you don't know
Search for someone you can't ever hope to be
And still you go
Oh, still you go.
Don't you think it's kind of sad to say,
Don't you think it's gonna change?
Makes you think you'll have to stay inside
For a while.
Changing horses in the middle of a stream
Gets you wet and sometimes cold
Changing faces in the middle of a dream
Gets you old.

~Dan Fogelberg, Changing Horses

Ok, so I have just dated myself. I admit that I am a long-time Fogelberg fan. I remember sitting in my brother's Chevy Chevelle (1972) in the dead of winter (in Chicago), waiting for my mother to finish shopping, and singing to Dan Fogelberg on the radio. I have every album he cut, still on the shelf of my closet. I used to listen to his music over and over again. Once I got a cassette player, I recorded all those albums and put them on tape. I still have a couple tapes left and whenever we are taking long driving trips, Fogelberg's Souvenirs and Netherlands, will eventually be pulled out and played.

The purpose of this post is to talk about changing horses, aka school focus, and the song just popped into my head (funny how that happens). My son is happily studying Year 7's Middle Ages and for the most part, we are very satisfied with our choice of curriculum. I have doubts, though, about my methods for schooling him. Not that I doubt Charlotte Mason or classical education, but rather doubts about how I am teaching him, how I plan and use our time. I wrote about the past couple of days over on The Little Red School House and how we are struggling to get back into the swing of school. Today was another lost day and DH is getting worried about me (not about DS, mind you!) He has good reason to worry because in my hyper-scheduled world and oh-so organized lifestyle, when I seem to dive off the end and get lost, it is usually a sign that it is time for a progress-check.

I have been thinking about creating more structure to our schooling. I have my schedule and to-do list, but I have been thinking that I really need a laid-out, follow it to the tee, plan. I don't want to change our curriculum and believe that schooling through 'living books' is the best way to learn and live. I want to just put some feet on our day so that we are a bit more grounded. This may not make a lot of sense but it is something that I have been thinking about a lot and thought I should write it down. Somehow, writing things down, gives purpose to the thought and can help you see through the fog and actually begin to deal with it (rather than as some lofty idea just floating around the ozone).

Anyway, now that I have D.F. in my head, I think I need to hear his voice. I am off to listen to my tapes and maybe will receive some clarity by slipping back for a moment into my former less-harried and less-complicated life.

"Changing horses in the middle of a stream...gets you wet and sometimes cold...but still you go...and still you go."

No comments: