January 13, 2006

How Great Thou Art...

"He shall see [the fruit] of the travail of His soul and be satisfied; by His knowledge of Himself [which He possesses and imparts to others] shall My [uncompromisingly] righteous One, My Servant, justify many and make many righteous (upright and in right standing with God), for He shall bear their iniquities and their guilt [with the consequences, says the Lord]." Isaiah 53:11

***I have been meditating on this verse for several days now. I am utterly confused where it says that "{Christ} shall bear their iniquities and their guilt [with the consequences, says the Lord] Amp". I cannot quite get my head around this last part -- that not only did Christ bear my sin and my guilt but also my consequences. Does this mean simply the consequence of my sin -- death -- eternal separation from God or does it mean all the consequence (death) as well as the pain, sorrow, and suffering that comes when we disobey God. It is a marvel to think that not only has Christ suffered for my sin but also for the consequence of my sin. Not that I am spared from the actual suffering of my sinful actions but rather that his suffering was complete -- it contained every aspect of the sin, from temptation to conception to birth to life.

My finite brain is struggling to grasp the significance of this truth. I understand it but do not fully 'get' the awesome significance of it.

"Lord, help me to understand the power of your sacrifice so that I may live with trembling heart and gentle steps. Keep me from sinning against you and from making choices that will lead to suffering and pain and sorrow."

2 comments:

Firefly said...

This is a very interesting thought. I will have to get out my bible and ruminate on this some more. I have always understood the consequence of sin was death. For instance, if an alcoholic were to become sober, come to know the Lord, believe and be baptized for the remission of his sins, he would no longer have to face death. But he still would have to face the effects of his years of drinking. He may have physical problems. More than likely he will have a hard time building back the trust he lost with his loved ones over the years. He may be deeply in debt due to his addiction. These are things that are consequences of his sin that aren't going to go away overnight and some of them may follow him throughout his life. God, though, makes all the difference. With him, there is strength and the ability to move forward. To make changes in all areas of your life.

By the way, welcome to the Keepers of the Home blogring! :o)

School Marm said...

Thanks Firefly! Sometimes I can read the same passage over and over and never see anything new and then othertimes, it is like WHAM! The lights just come on and I think, "Oh, how very interesting!"