January 1, 2006

Overall health and fitness

I was watching PBS tonight and happened to catch a medical doctor speaking on improving overall health and fitness. I regret that I didn't catch his name but his message sure stuck with me. If I had to admit it, I would have to say that generally speaking, my health and fitness level is pretty poor. I lost about 35 pounds in 2001 (Weight Watchers) and have been successful at keeping all but about 8 pounds off since. My fitness level, though, is pretty lame. In fact, during the past year, it has been non-existent.

This year, I really do want to lose those stubborn pounds and improve my overall health and fitness level. I am not an exercise person and do just about anything to avoid breaking a sweat. I used to be more active but over the past couple of years, I have just allowed work, school, homelife, etc. to crowd out taking care of myself.

I have been experiencing some personal changes -- mostly perimenopausal type stuff. I also suffer from depression and mood swings and have some stress related disorders (chronic back pain, IBS, CFS, etc.) I try very hard not to let these things take over my life but honestly somedays it takes all my strength and desire just to get the minimum done. My doctor and everyone I know tells me how important DIET and EXERCISE are to my personal ills. They are right, of course. I know it. But for some reason I have just not wanted to do anything about it.

So...tonight I decided to make 2006 a year of health and fitness for me. The guy on TV summed up his presentation with the following list of things you can do to improve overall health and fitness. I was impressed as they were commonsense like and seemed doable to me (the one who loathes sweating).

1) Get enough sleep every night (6 or more hours)
2) Drink 8 glasses of water a day
3) Replace coffee with green tea
4) Exercise moderately (20-30 minutes per day)
5) Reduce stress through prayer or meditation (15 minutes per day)
6) Take C-Q10 and CLA every day to boost immunity and flush system

This I can do. They guy promised that simply by drinking water and green tea, you can lose up to 10 pounds in 6 weeks, without modifying your diet any. Moderation is the key.

I can do moderation. I can do this.

1 comment:

tootlepip said...

This looks like a great list. Similar to what I have in mind for my new year!

tootles