February 12, 2006

Cast Your Cares Upon Him...

But let it be the inward adorning and beauty of the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible and unfading charm of a gentle and peaceful spirit, which [is not anxious or wrought up, but] is very precious in the sight of God. For it was thus that the pious women of old who hoped in God were [accustomed] to beautify themselves and were submissive to their husbands [adapting themselves to them as themselves secondary and dependent upon them]. It was thus that Sarah obeyed Abraham [following his guidance and acknowledging his headship over her by] calling him lord (master, leader, authority). And you are now her true daughters if you do right and let nothing terrify you [not giving way to hysterical fears or letting anxieties unnerve you].1 Peter 3:4-6 (Amplified Bible)

Today as I was reading my Bible, I turned to the 1st Book of Peter. I flipped over to chapter three and began reading about God's ideal for wives and their role in the family. I decided to read today from the Amplified Bible and for the first time something wonderful spoke to me. If you have been reading my blog of late, you will know that I have been anxious and worried about my life. So much so that I have been struggling and questioning many of the decisions I have made over the past few months. Well, as I was reading the Lord spoke to my heart and showed me that it is not His plan or desire for me to be anxious or wrought up (my words - stressed out!) No, this is not His plan for my life nor is it His plan for any other woman of God. The words in the above verses spoke to my heart and showed me that it is up to me to choose to either pursue a gentle and peaceful spirit or one that is anxious and terrified (vs. 6).

It is a choice, a matter of the heart. We must either trust the Lord completely or we must rely on our own thinking, our own feeings, and our own decisions. James 1:5 directs the believer to ask the Lord for wisdom (knowledge and understanding) but to do so without doubt or wavering. James continues by comparing the man with little faith (doubt or hesitation) to the billowing surge of the sea, blown here and there by the wind. Verse 8 says "[For being as he is] a man of two minds (hesitating, dubious, irresolute), [he is] unstable and unreliable and uncertain about everything [he thinks, feels, decides]" The man who tries to do everything on his own is unstable, unreliable, and uncertain. He doesn't trust the Lord to provide wisdom (discernment) and therefore attempts to navigate outside the will of the Lord.

Oh my! This is surely me. I often experience these same feelings - especially those of uncertainty and have experienced the unstable emotions that usually accompany anxiety and stress. The Lord tells us that this is not how He wants us to live our lives - we are encouraged to be "sober -- circumspect (morally alert)" and to set our hope on the wholly and unchangeable grace (undeserved favor) of Jesus Christ (1 Peter 1:13).

Yes, the answer is to fix my gaze upon HIM and to choose not to be anxious, worried or terrified about any of the details of my day, my week or my life. I am to ask the Lord for wisdom and expect that He will answer my prayer (James 1:5).

Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully. 1 Peter 5:7

If you have been feeling stressed out, worried or anxious about something in your life, consider asking the Lord for the wisdom to understand this biblical truth. Then trust Him. Believe that He will deliver you and give you a spirit of peace.

Cast all your worries, concerns, and anxiety upon Him and know that he cares for you!

No comments: