February 20, 2006

No Longer Fearful...

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." ~2 Timothy 1:7

I have made this verse my mantra (new age term - my affirmation) and am reciting it daily to help me realize that it is not God's plan for my life to live in fear. The Bible says that fear is not just being afraid but also happens when we become anxious, we worry, or when we doubt.

The Amplified Bible says this:

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control.

I understand that it is God's plan for me to live a well-balanced life, to be calm and disciplined and in control. He doesn't desire for me to lose control or to feel as though my life is spinning out of control.

The problem as I see it is that often the difference between being calm and at peace and being fearful, anxious, and worried, is simply allowing Him to be in control and to lead us. Too often, we want to lead and then pray that the Lord will bless our plans. We forget that it is His plan for our lives and that He is more than willing to share it with us, if we would only ask Him. Some times the plan isn't clear or isn't completely revealed to us. This is not because the Lord doesn't trust us, but rather that we are not ready to whole-heartedly accept it.

The sooner we can let go and let Him lead, the sooner we can experience that calm, that sense of discipline and self-control, we all desire so very much.

No comments: