March 6, 2006

Eating Our Words

A man's [moral] self shall be filled with the fruit of his mouth; and with the consequence of his words he must be satisfied [whether good or evil].

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and they who indulge in it shall eat the fruit of it [for death or life]. ~Proverbs 18:20-21


These verses were in my daily devotional reading today. I had never really thought about the fact that the words I speak are fruit - fruit that could be either good or evil. I know how I feel when a conversation turns from positive and uplifting talk to negative and critical gossip. My spirit seems to follow right along that negative and bitter path.

I am so convicted today. The Bible says that my words are to be like honey and sweet tasting to others. They are not to be a bitter root that leaves people running to rinse out their mouths!

Lord Jesus, thank you for showing me how my words really matter. Not only to the people who hear them but also to my spirit and my heart. If I want to be happy, I must speak happy words. If I want to be satisfied with my life, I must speak words affirming my life, not ones that tear it down. Help me to remember that critical and complaining words will bring about a critical and complaining spirit. I truly will eat the very words that come out of my mouth.

No comments: