March 2, 2006

Going Overboard

Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) is the man whom You discipline and instruct, O Lord, and teach out of Your law,

That You may give him power to keep himself calm in the days of adversity, until the [inevitable] pit of corruption is dug for the wicked. ~Psalm 94:13-14


I don't know about you but I struggle with procrastination. I often put off things I don't want to do, even though I know I should do them. The dictionary defines procrastination as:

To put off doing something, especially out of habitual carelessness or laziness.

The word comes from the latin word procrastinare - pro (forward) crastinus (tomorrow)

This past week the Holy Spirit has convicted my heart and brought to my rememberence several tasks that I said I would do and have yet to complete them. I have made excuses to put them off (I am not feeling well, I can do it tomorrow, it can wait). This type of attitude is not pleasing to the Lord and I can feel His disappointment. I feel uneasy and not at peace.

Today, as I got up I decided that I would bring this issue before the Lord and ask him to help me be delivered from it. The devil very much would like to see me lost on some rabbit-trail and deeply rooted into some project that would keep me "occupied" and unable to do what God asks of me. I often allow seemingly unimportant tasks to take over my life (scheduling our school for example). I get flustered, frustrated, and overwhelmed and wonder why this is happening to me. The reason is that I am going overboard in one small, inconsequential area, and letting more important tasks, those that really matter, sit on the back burner.

We are called to redeem our time, to not waste it. This point was brought home to me today as I was reading one of my homeschool group lists. One of the mom's on the list went home to be with the Lord suddenly yesterday afternoon. A dear sister in Christ, she was a special gift to our homeschool group. Her life was surrounded by her children and her love of homeschooling them. She took the time to help others with their homeschool journey too and through her efforts was able to help make their schooldays less hectic and frustrating.

I am reminded that no one knows the time nor the hour of our passing. No one knows how many minutes or days or years we have to be here on the Earth. The Lord's desire is to bring his people home when He chooses to do so. His word tells us to be alert and to be about the Father's business - to not put off until tomorrow, what could be done today. There may not be a tomorrow.

My heart is filled with sadness at the loss of this dear sister and I am praying for her family. My prayer this morning is to keep this memory afresh in my heart and mind -- to redeem my days -- to live in the moment and to be about the Lord's business.

No comments: