March 17, 2006

Hoyts German Cologne

I found this tucked inside an antique bible. I thought it was so pretty and reminded me of a by-gone era.




I should mention that the bible is a German bible from my mother's home county of Somerset, PA. Frederick Goeb was the first printer west of the Allegheny Mountains and he printed in Somerset County, Pennsylvania. A friend found this original 1813 Frederick Goeb Martin Luther German Bible and sent it to me. It is very fragile and today while looking through it, my son and I found all sorts of little bookmarks. Some were snips of paper with old fashioned calligraphy on them. Other's were just torn pieces of parchment. This pretty cologne label was in the Book of John.

1 comment:

School Marm said...

I just googled to learn more about Hoyts - this is a Victorian Ad and they were very popular sales pieces in the late 1890's and early 1900's.

Cool!