April 2, 2007

Forming Spiritual Habits

Besides this you know what [a critical] hour this is, how it is high time now for you to wake up out of your sleep (rouse to reality). For salvation (final deliverance) is nearer to us now than when we first believed (adhered to, trusted in, and relied on Christ, the Messiah). Romans 13:1

I will admit that I spent a great deal of my life dealing with bad habits. I didn't set out to be lazy, it just happened. It didn't happen all at once either. It was a slow progression, a little bit here and a little bit there. One day, I woke up and found that I was plaqued by a myriad of bad habits, everything from oversleeping, to procrastination (putting things off), to neglecting my spirital life.

Last year, a friend in one of my home school e-groups passed away suddenly. Her death came as a shock to all of us. She was a young mom in the very prime of her life. She died in child birth. Her death shook me up and reminded me that the time of salvation is nearer now than ever before. If I wanted to stop being lazy and really start living, I had to make some serious changes to my life starting with those darn bad habits.

I have spent the past year working on replacing those bad habits with good ones (a la Charlotte Mason). I started reading my Bible each day and spending time in prayer, alone in my prayer closet. I started to manage my time better and not be so lazy. I started reading good books again. I started to find that I had more time each day to do the things I enjoyed and felt less pressured to always try and catch-up. I started living again and my life has taken on a new shape, a new dynamic, a new outlook.

I will always be grateful to my God for allowing me to experience the loss of a friend because in her death, I became alive and took hold of the miracle of life and recognized that life is all too fleeting. My desires changed and now I long to please Him and to do the things that bring Him pleasure.

Make a habit today of reading your Bible. Make a good habit today to replace a bad one and wait and see how much better you will feel. There is power in choice and power in overcoming the world. Jesus Christ has already done this for you and He is graciously waiting to give you His power to overcome every challenge you will face today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be as wise for the days are evil. I can not remember the exact verse but I believe God is calling us to use the time we have wisely.. I still need to work out some of my bad habits, like spending too much time on the computer.

Christy