September 18, 2007

Fall is here!

Finally the cooler days of fall have arrived to Arizona! By cooler, I really mean under the 100 degree mark each day. Today and through the rest of the week we are expecting temperatures to stay under the century mark. I was reminded of those unexpected "Indian Summers" we used to have each September when I was young and growing up in Illinois. Mom always took us school shopping in August and we picked out our favorite fall/winter clothes. We couldn't wait to wear our new clothes to school, mostly with leggings and turtlenecks and corduroy, on the first day of school. It didn't matter that the mornings would warm to toasty afternoons. No, we would all dress for fall even when the temperature warmed to the upper 70's. Oh, but how I remember the first frosty morning and the falling of the leaves. The piles of raked leaves on neighbor's yards and the rainshowers and yellow rain slickers. Yes, fall has to be my favorite time of the year. I love the colors, the smells, and the feel of fall. Sigh, temperatures in the high 90s today. Not quite the fall I remember but after the long hot summer, I will take it and enjoy it.

This is the day the Lord has made...I will rejoice and be glad in it!

No comments: