and Cellular and Molecular Biology. Some other texts concentrate more on Cellular Biology and Human Anatomy. I liked the way this text was written and think it is compatible with Charlotte Mason's approach to teaching natural science.
We will be doing many of the recommended labs this year, but will not be attempting dissections. However, to gain a full credit in this subject/course, we do need to include a complete lab, so instead we will be watching one or two of these dissections online through "virtual laboratories." Virtual Labs are now very popular and many colleges actually use them instead of physical laboratories. I found this list posted through another home school group and thought I would share it here, just in case you are also seeking an alternative to doing your own lab:
- Net Frog allows students to participate in an interactive dissection, complete with images, movies, and text.
- Explore interactive pictures, watch videos, view diagrams, and quiz yourself with Anatomically Correct: The Online Cat Dissection.
- Wellesley College offers online videos of a crayfish, frog, and sheep brain dissection.
- With the Virtual Frog Dissection Kit, you can both dissect a frog, and use the Virtual Frog Builder game to put one back together. The interactive pages are available in seven different languages.
- Exploratoriumâ€™s online Cow Eye Dissection has videos, graphics, and information about the eye.
- Froguts offers a free online demo of their virtual frog dissection.
- Access dissection videos, photos, slideshows, worksheets, and quizzes from ZeroBio. Videos include the fetal pig, frog, and sheep heart.
- Cornell has information and detailed images about the morphology and physiology of frogs; it also includes links to videos and quizzes.
- View photos of the external features and internal organs and systems with the Frog Dissection Lab.
- The State University of New York at Buffalo offers in-depth information and graphics about a wide variety of species.
- View images from the muscular and digestive systems of the rat.
- Perform a virtual mouse dissection step-by-step with the Virtual Mouse Necropsy.
- The Sheep Brain Dissection Guide
- Virtual Cat Dissection
- Virtual Pig Dissection
- Earthworm Dissection