November 30, 2007

Enchanted with 'Enchanted'

I just got home from seeing the new Disney movie, "Enchanted." I wasn't going to go and see this movie -- no reason really -- just thought I would wait for it to go to DVD and save the $9.00 ticket price (plus goodies). But, my parents were going and it is raining today (really? in Phoenix? Yes!) and it just seemed like a good day to go to the movies. I will admit to being a big Disney fan and while I have been less than enthusiastic of their more recent releases, I have a soft spot in my heart for all things "Disney." Maybe it is because I am a child of the 1960's and I remember seeing 'Bambi' at the movie theaters (and cried all the way home when I saw what I thought was Bambi's mother strapped to the top of a car). I was in my peak movie watching years when "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "Swiss Family Robinson" debuted. My brothers and I were dropped off at the movie theaters and were given a $1 each to spend on candy or popcorn. It was a kiddie affair back then, one of the safest places for weary Mom's to deposit their kids and take a few hours off. When I was 10, my friends and I, would go to the movies each Saturday and it was always the one thing we looked forward to each week (that and roller skating). Disney and me -- we have always had a love affair -- and even though I have cringed over the years at some of their story lines -- overall I still will watch a Disney movie well before I will watch any other kind.


I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and thought it was "enchanting" to say the least. It is a delightful movie and has absolutely nothing "untoward" in it. The PG rating is probably due to some of the graphic images (the dragon in the end is pretty scary looking) and the intense story line of the Queen trying to kill Giselle. I thought Patrick Dempsey was delightful and Amy Adams, who plays the title role of Giselle, was just perfect as the story book princess transported to modern day New York City. I loved every part of this movie and actually could see it again, just to enjoy the music and dance scenes. The choreography is superb and the score, written by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz, is so typical of their other wonderful collaborations (Beauty and the Beast, Pocohontas, The Little Mermaid, etc.).

I think this movie is a great family film (sentimental dads would enjoy it too) and it is a nice film to see this Christmas season.

3 comments:

Leticia said...

"Absolutely nothing untoward in it". Surely you noticed the cleavage, the naked woman in the shower, falling on top of a man with a squeal, as his girlfriend walks in . . .how untoward does a film have to get before you realize you've been duped by Hollywood into accepting sommulence?
Homeschoolers generally have a keener view of the pop culture because of their distance from it. I enjoyed the movie too, until I realized the sleazy messages it sent to my 14 and 10 year old girls. . .the princess fell in love with the other man when she got turned on by touching his chest; YUCK!
Hollywood has put us to sleep thinking that it's not doing us any harm, but we owe it to our children to wake up!

ShilohMom said...

I have thought long about your comment and wasn't quite sure whether or not I should reply to it. Sometimes it is better to just let things lay and the careful person doesn't always have to have the last word. However, your comments just haven't gone away from my mind and I have thought and thought and thought about them.

I am sure you were just surfing by and found my blog and posted. I am glad you did -- that is why I have a blog in the first place -- to put my journal out there for others to read. I guess if I didn't want anyone to comment on my thoughts, I could set it to be private or just not put them out there in the first place. But I digress. You did post and I thought it was curious how much offense you took at this movie. I was quite surprised that you even paid money to go and see it since it is obvious you have a very strong disdain for Hollywood and believe that they are "out to dupe" unsuspecting movie goers. You are not alone in your sentiments -- there are many people who share the exact same views. Moreover, there is nothing wrong with having this view, however, normally those that do share this view tend to NOT go to movies at all. I found it very curious that you would go to see this movie -- knowing full well what you would get in return for your $9 dollar investment.

So after carefully considering my views on this movie and your comments about it's impropriety, I still stand on my belief that "nothing untoward" occurred in it. I am using the word as an adjective and since it has several well-known meanings, I am speaking of it this way:

"not in keeping with accepted standards of what is right or proper in polite society; "was buried with indecent haste"; "indecorous behavior"; "language unbecoming to a lady"; "unseemly to use profanity"; "moved to curb their untoward ribaldry"

The issue here as I see it is really two-fold: one, we must acknowledge that this movie was not made for Christian families and therefore it does not have Christian or Biblical family values. For a worldly movie, it is well done and while I will agree with you that it probably wasn't necessary to see Giselle getting out of the shower, she was covered and nothing improper (from a worldly POV) happened in that scene. Robert didn't lust after her body nor did he make some crude or rude remark. In fact, he was embarrassed and uncomfortable. Keep in mind the point -- Giselle was a fairy tale creation, innocent, and without any understanding of what was proper/improper by real-world standards.

The second point, which I think is central and of most import, is that as Christians we must realize that we will not find justice, fairness, propriety, and other Godly standards in anything the world produces. Far too often we try and find a "Christian" message in secular books or movies. We desparately hope that the world will start to look on life, family, marriage, etc., the same way we do. We then get very upset when they don't do this or when they portray families, marriage or other keenly held beliefs with disdain or in some mixed-up, messed-up way. The truth is that we are looking for God and His character in all the wrong places. To quote your words -- "we are duped" -- we are the ones who are duping ourselves, not Hollywood or any other worldly institution. We are seeking truth from the marketplace of Hell and hoping, just hoping, we might find some shiny or clean thing there. We are mistaken. There is nothing of the world that will ever meet our standards or our desires. This is the way it is supposed to be and it is OK to feel this way. God has created within the heart of His children a desire for the things above. We long for our heavenly home and want so much for that peace, that perfection, that pure place that only exists with Him.

Hollywood and Disney might give us light-hearted comedy, silly fantasy and even at times a heart-warming simple story. They will, however, never give us the "truth" we long for and desire most. No, that is left to the One who is the author and finisher of all things.

"Your word is truth" John 17:17a

Leticia said...

I am a movie critic, that's why I saw the movie.
I do see hope for Hollywood in recent films like, "Bella" which has Christian values and has done quite well.
You used to be able to go to Disney films like "Cinderella" and get plenty of fantasy without nudity, but Disney has abandoned their reputation as a family friendly company.
I understand that not every film will be "The Passion" nor do I expect faith inspiration from Hollywood. But I do expect that a film about fairy princesses to be clean.
Silly me.