February 28, 2008

Learning to Wait

I have been in one of those "wait" modes for a couple weeks. The Lord is doing something in my life right now and has told me that I must wait for Him to make ready His plans for me. I am not good at waiting; in fact, I am pretty lousy about it. I mean, I can wait for a bus, a movie to begin, or even a night out with my DH; but I cannot wait for what is "unseen" to take place. Somehow, the waiting for that which is not known or seen, is what gives me the most trouble. The Lord has been gracious to give me a heads up and to let me know a little of what He is doing -- just enough to whet my appetitite and cause me to "look up" and pay attention to Him.



I was just praying over this "waiting" bit this morning. I likened my waiting to a man sitting in a pool of water. The water is calm all around and the temperature is comfy, warm, and very satisfying. Then, all of a sudden and without warning, a child jumps in and makes a huge splash. It sends waves rippling all around and disturbs the peaceful pool. This is how my "waiting" normally goes -- except for the fact that I am the one causing the waves to ripple around (my antsy frustration at work). The past couple of weeks have been especially troubling to me and it seems as though not just one child has jumped in, but a whole passel of them. They not only jumped in, but they did cannonballs and the water has not stopped splashing and spilling over the edges. My calm pool of submission has turned turbulent and it no longer affords peace.

"Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
Psalm 46:10

The solution, I know, is to stop making waves! It is as easy as that -- just sit still and know that God is in control. Oh, how hard it is to sit, even when it is nice and peaceful and comfortable!

Lord, please help me to sit still today and to KNOW that you are God and that you have everything under control in my life!

No comments: