September 18, 2008

Psalm 55

Ever have a day when you wanted to just fly away and go someplace far, far from the hustle and hassles of daily life?

I was reading Psalm 55 today and as I was reading verses 6 and 7, my heart heaved a great sigh and I said "oh, yes!"

The psalmist is writing of a time when everyone has turn against him and his life is near breaking point. His enemies have mounted an attack and he is overcome with fear and dread for what might happen. Can you relate to his concern, dear friend?

The past couple days have been troublesome for me. Though nothing as difficult as David fleeing from his enemy Saul or sitting poised and ready for battle; I simply have felt anxious and fearful over some specific events in my life (small by comparison). Small, yet, still able to cause me to fear and to be anxious in my heart (and in my stomach -- right where all my anxiety seems to sit).

David, a brillant and gifted Psalmist, never leaves one of his poems as hopeless. He always is drawn back to the awesome and miraculous hand of God:

16 But I call to God,
and the LORD saves me.

17 Evening, morning and noon
I cry out in distress,
and he hears my voice.

18 He ransoms me unharmed
from the battle waged against me,
even though many oppose me.

and then at the end,

22 Cast your cares on the LORD
and he will sustain you;
he will never let the righteous fall.

Oh, that I had the wings of a dove and could fly away and find rest...yes...but I remember that my Lord hears me when I cry out to Him and that He cares for me. He will sustain me and He will not let me fall, whether in battle or the events of daily life.

God is so Good to me.

No comments: