September 16, 2008

Week 2...

We finished up our week two and had good success. The only area where we seem to still have kinks is math and science. I have already budgeted for Apologia Chemistry and it is coming soon (hopefully by next week). I didn't plan on having to switch from MEP so soon, but I think we are going to have to change to a more student-led text. The GCSE material is very good, but it expects a teacher in the classroom, and is not really geared for independent work. The only caveat to this is unless the student happens to be very solid in math. My son is working on unit 1, indices, and did fine with lessons 1-5. Today, he attempted lesson 6, which deals with negative/positive exponents and he was clueless. The Algebra is intermediate, or at least, I think so. I might have done this level of equation (roots and such) towards the end of my freshman year...but...I don't think so. I think it was beginning of junior year, Algebra 2. Anyhoo, without explanation on how to do the problems (just worked solutions), neither of us were able to really understand the reasons behind the solution. So...I am off to preview other Algebra 2 programs, especially those with some visual component to help us along.

No comments: