You can also join our reading group at Yahoo.
Our first book will be the story of Beowulf, the classic Medieval Norse tale of knight and dragon. If you have never attempted to read this book, fearing defeat at the Old English text, grab your hat and coat and journey with us in a modern retelling or in a delightful prose version. There are many versions of this myth that are easy to read. Don't let memories of Jr. High English keep you from revisiting this wonderful tale of bravery, chivalry and true mortal combat.
Our complete summer reading list includes (in this order):
- Tales from the 1001 Nights (or, 1001 Arabian Nights) (c. 850?)
- Letters of Abelard and Heloise (c. 1130-1136)
- The Song of Roland (c. 1100)Summa Theologica (1265-1273)
- The Divine Comedy (c. 1306-1321)
- Canterbury Tales (c. 1386)
- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (Late 14th Century)
If you have always wanted to read classical literature, but worried whether or not you could do it, consider joining our very friendly reading group.