May 12, 2010

Listening to the Spirit of God

Today, as I sat at my computer and listened to what I consider the saddest and most wrenching music I have heard (yet, of course!), a thought popped into my heading asking me: "what is this music saying to you?" As I contemplated it, I listened again, twice in fact. The first time, I thought about the melody, and then the second time, I listened particularly close to the instruments. It was as if they were speaking to me, singing a song that only I could hear. The piece of music, in case you want to listen to it is from the movie, The Mission. It is called Gabriel's Oboe, and was written by Italian composer Ennio Morricone. I have the music he wrote for Yo Yo Ma, a more elaborate cello version than what is in the movie. It is poignant and moving, that is all I can say. I also googled You Tube and found the actual video clip from the movie (I never saw it). I sat there watching that clip and had tears streaming down my face. Powerful and gripping, that is all I can say.

Now back to the part about listening, really listening to the music speak to you. As you know, I am learning to play the cello. I am an early intermediate player, progressing well, but not to the point where I want to be yet. I love the cello, I love the voice of the cello. Someone once said that the cello most closely approximates a human's singing voice, and I agree. The cello, especially when singled out as a solo instrument clearly sounds like someone singing. Yo Yo Ma or any number of outstanding cellists do it justice -- they bring the beauty and personality out of the cello, and they make it sound like heaven itself (well, to me, anyway).

As I sat here listening and then crying through this music -- it moves my heart so much -- given that I have a relationship with it now (and knowing both the movie and the actual history the movie was based on). I cannot help but link the two together in harmony with the Words of God:

The voice of one crying in the wilderness:

“ Prepare the way of the LORD;
Make straight in the desert
A highway for our God.

Every valley shall be exalted
And every mountain and hill brought low;
The crooked places shall be made straight
And the rough places smooth;

The glory of the LORD shall be revealed,
And all flesh shall see it together;
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.”

The voice said, “Cry out!”
And he said, “What shall I cry?”
“All flesh is grass,
And all its loveliness is like the flower of the field.

The grass withers, the flower fades,
Because the breath of the LORD blows upon it;
Surely the people are grass.

The grass withers, the flower fades,
But the word of our God stands forever.”
~Isaiah 40:3-8

To me this music represents the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, calling the people to prepare the way for the Lord. The voice is the Holy Spirit of God speaking, calling all people to repent and turn back to God. It is a warning, but it is a cry (a war cry, a battle cry -- not a harsh judgment), a cry to be received and to be replied.

God, the Holy Spirit, calls out to us today and begs us to listen to His voice. He longs for us to return to the Father, to receive the Son, and be forgiven and restored to our rightfully and created position as children of the Almighty One. Yet, no one listens; no one hears His voice.

As has just been said:
"Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts
as you did in the rebellion."
~Hebrews 3:15

Oh, that we would listen for His sweet and melodious voice and turn toward Him. Let us not harden our hearts and turn away as the Israelites did in the rebellion.

No comments: