May 27, 2010

Three Things I have Learned about God

Today, as I was praying, the Lord asked me what I had learned recently. He does this with me, tests me to see how well I am retaining His instruction. He often asks me when I finish reading the Word. He will say to me, "So what did you get from that passage or chapter?" I then tell Him what I THINK I gleaned, and then He will say "yes or no." Most of the time, I get it right, or part of it right. There is always more to learn from His Word, so the second, third, or umpteenth time, I am still learning some new kernel of truth. I love the Lord, and I love the fact that He cares about my training and instruction.

The Lord greatly desires His Children to know and understand His Word. He wants us to really know it, not just in the sense of repeating it back (parroting); but, more-so in knowing what it conveys about Him. You see, the Word, from beginning to end, has been designed to teach us about God. We come to know about Him, to really know Him, through His Written Word. His Precious Holy Spirit guides us into all truth, and through the reading of the Word (the washing as the KJV says), our minds and consciences are cleansed. We not only receive instruction, but we benefit by getting our minds washed clean. We come away refreshed, emboldened, and ready to take on whatever the Lord has in mind for us to do. We are trained by the reading of His Word. Therefore, it is vitally important that we do not forsake reading His Word.

As a newbie believer, I really struggled to read His Word. It was not pleasant for me to do so. Now, after so many years, I have come to love His Word and think of it as honey, something so sweet and wonderfully tasting -- a real treat. I love the way it sinks down, the way it changes me, the way it guides me, and at times the way it reminds me to do better (be a doer of His Word).

So back to what I have learned about God. Well, there are many things, mostly His Attributes, and I have learned to recognize them through creation, through His hand on my life, and through the Word of God. But, really, I have come to know three things about Him, and in doing so, these three things have radically changed my life:
  • God is Good
  • God is Trustworthy
  • and God is Faithful
These are the three attributes that have meant the most to me, and in understanding them, have shaped my eternal destiny as well as my earthly path. God has demonstrated to me the very things I needed to know most about Him. I needed to understand His Goodness. I needed to experience His Trustworthiness, and I needed to rely on His Faithfulness.

I always end my blog posts with something like this: God is so Good to me.

This is the very truth of the matter. God has chosen for me to recognize His Goodness, and in doing so, I see it in everything and in Him and His Handiwork. I see His Goodness in my life, in the lives of others, and in creation. God is GOOD. And not just Good, as we think of Good; but, in the highest, most ultimate sense: PERFECTLY GOOD.

His Trustworthiness was the most difficult attribute for me to learn about and understand. Partly this was due to my childhood experiences where I was abandoned and betrayed. I came to distrust everyone who sought to do good to me. I simply didn't believe it. I was a "show me the money" kind of girl. If you want me to trust you, then show me that you are trustworthy. Ugh! God and I, well God, worked on that issue in my heart for months (perhaps longer, but I can tell you that there were days and days when I only heard one thing from Him: TRUST ME.)

I came into my relationship with the Lord already believing He was Faithful. Yet, that wasn't enough for me or for God. No, I needed to rely on His Faithfulness and that meant that I had to understand that He keeps His Word. This is part TRUST and part FAITH -- God is Faithful and True, as the Word says. Therefore, He is Faithful to do as He promises us in the Word.

These three attributes or characteristics of God are the three that mattered most to me, and I think are the three that are most crucial to my life in the Lord. I mean, He knew that I needed to understand and grasp these significant traits, but also that in doing so, I would be empowered to do His Work in the way He has designed and planned.

All I can say is this: I am so glad I learned this from Him. I know this about Him and it settles me. I am at peace with this understanding, and I am willing to follow my Lord wherever He leads me. God is so GOOD to me. He is FAITHFUL and TRUSTWORTHY. Amen, so be it. Selah!

No comments: