June 11, 2010

No Longer Living with Doubt

I am one of those people who seems to doubt what I am being told. I don't want to be cynical, but it always just seems to fit with my personality. I am a doubter by nature. The wonderful thing is that over the course of this past year, the Lord has worked with me to help me overcome my natural tendency to doubt. I have learned how to remain positive even when things (events, circumstances) do not appear to be all that positive.

The Lord has graciously enabled me through the gifting of His Holy Spirit to be upbeat, positive, and open to possibility. This is definitely a change in my personality, a true shift of my natural tendency. This only can be of God -- for He is the only One who can change a person's natural bent. Proverbs 22:6 says:

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." (KJV)

However, in the Amplified it says it this way:

"Train up a child in the way he should go [and in keeping with his individual gift or bent], and when he is old he will not depart from it."

I like the way the Amplified illuminates the words "should go". I think this is exactly how God desires us to train up our children. We are all uniquely created by a Loving God; a God who desires for His children to grow INTO His very characteristics. We all have a bent, or a leaning towards some specific way, and God is telling us that we are to teach our children along that natural leaning. Of course, this natural leaning is not the flesh -- no -- this natural leaning is more about how we learn as individuals. Some people are linear thinkers, some abstract. Some are auditory, kinestethic or visual (like me). Some need lots of hands-on instruction, some can learn from reading good books. The idea here is that as uniquely created individuals, God wants us to use whatever resources we have at hand to train our children in a way that is suited to each one personally. This is how God trains us up, and we are to do likewise.

Consider His Holy Spirit for a moment. Does the Holy Spirit speak to you in the same manner that He speaks to me? No, not necessarily. He speaks to each of us about the things that are personal to us. He teaches, He guides, He directs, He convicts...All directed towards us and for us. He is all about making us into the BEST people He can, and wants us to be conformed to the likeness of Jesus Christ. The Word tells us that as the body of Christ, we are all uniquely fitted together. There is just One Head, and that Head is Jesus Christ. Likewise, we are not all eyes, all ears or all arms. We are uniquely made into the body of Christ -- the Church of God. Just so, as we raise our children, we too need to keep in mind their specific creative aspect, to consider how the Holy Spirit of God might choose to use them in the Kingdom of His Glory.

As God works with us, to shape and to mold us into His Likeness, so He changes us, changes those parts of us that need to be changed. I think of it this way: God is like a very fine mechanic. He performs tiny adjustments to His creation, adjusting them just so that they can perform to His desires and specifications. Our willingness to allow Him to adjust us -- even our very personalities -- is part of the great work the Holy Spirit performs in our lives. We are the better for it, often replacing not-so-nice attributes with God-like ones. The more willing we are to be changed, the more able He is to use us in marvelous ways. God desires to use us, He created us to be used. However, we cannot be of good use if we are stubborn, are willful, and are obstinate whenever the Creator attempts to make a fine adjustment.

I have come to understand that my life turns positively towards the better the more I allow Him to tweak me. I have come to enjoy these changes, and the blessing of being in fellowship with the Lord is that often I get to not only experience the change, but I get to see it, really see it. It is not that I boast, for my boasting is only in the Lord; but rather, it is that I get the priveledge of seeing myself made better, corrected, adjusted, and the results that follow are positively wonderful.

God is SO GOOD TO ME. His Mercy endures forever, and His Love will never cease. He is to be praised today and forevermore. Amen, so be it. Selah!

No comments: