June 16, 2010

Saying Good Bye to Fear

Oh my, was today a strange day for me. I woke up feeling pretty anxious, and wondering what might be the cause of those feelings. Later in the day, I was consumed by fear. I was fearful of everything, even making the simplest decisions such as when to go to Wal-Mart. Yikes! How in the world did that happen -- how did I go from being bold and confident to a shriveling little mess?

A-hem...FEAR! Our Pastor says that a good acronym for FEAR is:

False
Evidence
Accepted as
Real

Yes, yes, yes! This is exactly what happened to me today. I took some pretty big steps of faith, and then in one fell swoop, sank right down into FEAR. It seemed like a dozen really good reasons why I shouldn't do this or that popped into my head. None of them were based in reality. They all had little bits of truth, just enough to help sell them to my fuzzy and tired brain. I took them as REAL, and once I started to think about them, I began to get that anxious and worrisome feeling like some portent of bad news was just about to consume me.

Thankfully, after some quiet time in prayer and a good dose of reality, I woke up and realized what was going on. I realized that I was making too big a deal out of my fear, and whenever I do that, I simply empower it all the more. It is like taking something really small and let it become obnoxiously big. Well, that is what I did, and I can tell you that it stunk -- it really stunk good.

So here I am blogging, and just about ready to hit the old hay. I am really tired right now, and would like a good nights sleep. My baby kitten was sick last night -- sneezing, so he kept me awake. He seems better today, so hopefully I can sleep better tonight.

Dear Lord,

Thank you for your ability to help me see the truth in all things. Thank you for clarifying my path and letting me know that some times I can make little things into monsters. When I view them with proper eyes, I see them just for what they are -- little things that are easily cared for. But, when I allow FEAR to empower them, they become giants that need David and his slingshot! You are the BEST GOD ever and I am so blessed that you love me and care for me. May God be Praised forever more. Only You are worthy to be praised today!!

No comments: