July 27, 2010

I Love Cats


The Lord knows how much I love felines. He just knows me so well. About six weeks ago, He brought me a baby kitten that needed some TLC. We found him under our front bushes, dehydrated, and starving. We took him in, fed him, watered him, and proceeded to lavish love and affection on him. In return, he has given to all of us the sweetest purrs and loving rubs of any kitten I have ever had. This little guy is special, he is unique, and he is so loving. I cannot thank the Lord enough for bringing me sweetness and love into my home, especially during such a trying and difficult period on my life.

I just walked into the kitchen to get my second cup of coffee, and Baby Ike, was sleeping on the desk in the dining room. As I passed by, I couldn't help but give thanks to the Lord for this precious life. He is ornry, he is a biter and a jumper, and he is so active at 5:00 in the morning; but, he is the best kitten ever. I am thanking God for thinking so much of me, and providing something for me to love at the very moment I needed it most. He is SO GOOD TO ME.

On another front, I have updated my resume for the umpteenth time. I am getting really good at writing resumes, and think I have finally found the right combination of background and experience. Resume writing is an art form, that is for certain. It used to be standard fare for students to learn how to format a resume. It was generic, followed a prescribed setup, and it was perfunctory. You just listed your experience, your education, etc., and left it at that. Now with the economy in such a funk, employers see thousands of resumes and they all resemble one another. You have to stand out, be different, and communicate your message of why you should be hired clearly and effectively. This is not as easy as it looks, and it has taken me a while to figure out how best to present myself to perspective employers.

One of the things I have done is to forgo the standard cover letter. I have written oodles of these the past eight months, and honestly think they just don't work. They are impersonal, with the fact that rarely do you know who you are addressing, and they seem so blah. I have decided to go with a generic personal introduction, with a "let me introduce myself" approach, that I think is far more personal, and that will allow me to convey my strengths better than a formatted letter.

We will see if it works. It is easier than rewriting my resume all the time. Now, I just upload three documents: my resume, my personal introduction, and my references. It works and I can fill out applications with more speed, less worry about missed dates or wrong information.

You can check these out (if you are so inclined here:)

I am hopeful that these new formats will work, and that I will land that perfect (well, not perfect -- let's just say "available") full-time position very soon.

Lastly, as I look forward to this week, I am thinking about all that the Lord has done for me, and how He has brought me through the most darkest days and into the brightest sunshine. My life is not perfect by any means, and it still isn't settled and on an even keel (there is much to be settled); but, it is GOOD and I am happy and contented. I see great opportunity for the future, I am at peace with my God and those around me, and I am moving (finally! Hooray!!) forward into each day with firm footing and a hopeful outlook. This is not of my hand nor is it of my doing; no, it is all of Him, and I give Him all the Glory for it.

Thank you, Jesus, for your great work in my life. Thank you for bringing such sweet and wonderful (fragrant) blessings to me. Your hand is steady and you are moving me straight forward. I am excited at the prospect of what today and tomorrow will bring. I give you all the Praise and all the Glory, for only you are worthy to receive it. Amen, so be it, thy will be done. Selah!

No comments: