August 2, 2010

Everything Will Be Alright

Our Pastor gave us a wonderful sermon yesterday. We have come to the end of our series on the life of Joseph (OT), and yesterday's message was the "wrap up" or close on this series. It has been a thought-provoking eight-ten weeks, and I have learned much from Joseph and his brother's lives. Even though I am very familiar with this section of Scripture (Genesis 37-50), I still gleaned new insights that were applicable to my own life. Isn't that awesome, I mean, how the Holy Spirit of God uses a story written some 3000 years ago to affect change in my life today? He is AWESOME and I love the way He moves in my life.

"The Spirit of God is identified by one sign – MOVEMENT. If there is no movement, there is no Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the wind of heaven (Acts 2:2). A wind blows, or it is not a wind. The Spirit of God is the breath of God. God never stops breathing. A still wind can’t happen. C’mon on. Let’s move with the eternal “Mover” today!" ~REINHARD BONNKE

God, the Holy Spirit, moves in our lives just like the wind, just like a breath exhaled. You can feel Him if you will be still (Ps. 46:10). For many of us, we tend to miss His Gentle Breath, we simply are too busy, too preoccupied, to full of our own selves, to be still enough to feel Him as He ruffles the waves and moves things and people in and our of our lives. We need gale force winds at times, a real storm "a-brewing" before we see Him in action. This is so unfair to Him, and so depleting to us. We need to sit and be still and watch Him move -- He does it every moment of the day, every single day of our lives, and we can be a party to His action. We just have to be attentive to Him, to really pay attention to what He is doing and what He would like to do through us.

In the story of Joseph, we see the movement of God upon the life of Joseph; his brothers; and Israel, Joseph's father. We see change in their lives. We see them mature and go through much hardship, much disbelief, and much sorrow before we can really see the change within them. We get a summary account of some of that change, and some we never really see at all. What we take away from this story though is a picture of Jesus' salvation -- the redemption of man, the restoration of family, and the blessing of ever lasting life. We see this plan of redemption play out over the course of years in the life of Joseph, and then through this illustration, we see it play out in our own lives (if we will pay attention to it).

In my own life, I have seen it demonstrated many times. I have experienced salvation once. I have experienced redemption many times. I have witnessed restoration more times than I can count. And, now I am experiencing the blessing of that process. I am walking on blessing, I am living on blessing, and I am moving forward into the future squarely and circumspectly on blessing. God has blessed my life, taking it through this process: from salvation, to redemption, to restoration again and again and again. This time though, my eyes are wide open, and I am not only experiencing it, but I am witnessing it in my own life as well as those around me. I am seeing His Spirit move, and it is exciting and wonderful. It gives me such encouragment to know that even when "things" appear bleak and dark, the truth is always that His Spirit is alive and active and working in us and through us and for us and because of us. He is working, He never sleeps, He never slumbers. ("He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep." Ps. 121:3-4 KJV) He doesn't quit, and He won't quit until His work is done. What a promise from the Word today? Do you realize, beloved, that your Father never tires, He never stops His work, and He never gives up on His Plans for your life? We tire. We need sleep. We often become so discouraged that we sit down in the dirt and stew awhile. God doesn't do this, He never takes a break from thinking about you, caring about you, and desiring only Good for you.

Take courage today and know that no matter what trial or circumstance you are facing, God is right there in the thick of it, working for you to bring about blessing in your life. Are you paying attention to Him or are you stewing and thinking it is too much, too heavy a burden to carry, or that you just cannot go on? If so, take a moment and look up,

Give ear to my words, O Lord,
consider my sighing.

Listen to my cry for help,
my King and my God,
for to you I pray.

In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait in expectation.

Psalm 5:1-3 KJV

No comments: