August 6, 2010

Thinking about God

Ok, so I am getting stressed over this whole marriage certificate debacle. I am still waiting for UPS to arrive. My package is out for delivery, but since this is home delivery, that could mean that it might be delivered anytime today (up to 6-7 p.m.) I have plans to go to the Music Instrument Museum in Scottsdale, and my parents paid the $15 for the ticket. I will have to stay home IF they don't get here soon. It is OK, and I don't really mind, but it is also sort of sad to not be able to get out today and enjoy my brother and his family. They are leaving early tomorrow a.m., and -- well -- you know, it just would be nice to get out of this house for the day.

So rather than continue to stress, I decided (or rather the Lord prompted me) to write about something different, about Him. Yep, you can see whose idea that one was, and I have to agree with His prompting. Whenever I am blue or depressed or down, praising God or even just thinking about Him, does seem to lift my spirit up. It is His way of helping us through the tough times. When we look up as the Psalmist says, we stop focusing on our problems and begin to see the mighty hand of God at work in our lives. It helps us to keep a "heavenly" attitude and perspective, which in turn, reminds us of His Sovereignty in our lives.

Today, I need that reminder -- BIG TIME. He is Sovereign, of course; but, I am feeling awfully low, and my thoughts are racing around making me unsettled. I need to look up, to think about Him and about what He is accomplishing in my life today. The more I think about Him, the less I think about me and my situation. God is Good like that, He is Good to us and He provides (always provides) a way for us to fix our gaze upon Him.

Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s a light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free!

Refrain

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
Over us sin no more hath dominion—
For more than conquerors we are!

Refrain

His Word shall not fail you—He promised;
Believe Him, and all will be well:
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Refrain

No comments: