August 5, 2010

Turning the Other Cheek

"But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." ~Matthew 5:39

Have you ever been in a situation where you had to 'turn the other cheek?' As Christians, we often remember this phrase, especially when we consider the actions of our Lord in response to the intense persecution He endured right before going to the Cross. We often pray that we DON'T have to turn our cheek, preferring instead to utter judgment when we are reviled. But, the Word of God tells us that we are not to resist an evil person. If we are hit upon the cheek, rather than striking them back, we are to turn away and offer the other cheek as well. I am not sure if I could actually do this, as my inner nature is to struggle and fight back. In fact, this is the flesh in all it's glory. The flesh wrestles with God all the time, wrestles with the Holy Spirit, and wrestles with the Word. The flesh doesn't want to turn the other cheek; no, the flesh wants to fight back.

I am at this point now, and this is the Word that came to me this morning. "Do not argue. Turn the other cheek." It was in direct response to a cry from me, a cry to the Lord for help as I face a difficult situation today. I don't want to do this, but I know it is the RIGHT thing to do. It is better to take the criticism and turn the other cheek, then to engage and create dissension. As believers we are told by the Apostle Paul not to engage in disorder or disharmony within the Body. Moreso, we are specifically told that people who do this are not part of the household of God. It is a visable testimony to us when we see a person who professes Christ Jesus yet causes disunion among the Saints. We are able to TELL the difference and then are encouraged to walk away from them, to not keep familiarity. The Word is clear on this point: believers in Christ are not to be in disharmony with the Holy Spirit and one another.

I am about to walk into the 'Lions Den' and I am not nervous or afraid. I am simply doing what I must, and frankly I don't like it. But it is something I must do, and therefore I will. I will write more when I get back home, but for now, suffice it to say -- I must TURN THE OTHER CHEEK.

No comments: