September 26, 2010

Revisioning the Future

I had a really good day today at Macy's. My shift was short, only 4 hours, and except for one very disagreeable customer, I had a nice day. My two co-workers are super sweet. Teri is the FT person, and Rachel is another PTer like me. I enjoy working with them everytime we are scheduled together. Tomorrow, I am not sure who I work with -- Teri and Joanne (the other FTer) are both off, so I probably will be alone most of the day. I don't mind, really. I like a slow Monday so that I can take my time and just chill a bit. My feet also appreciate slow days, so tomorrow should be good as well.

After work, I came home and checked my school mail (so far so good). Then, I ordered us pizza from our local parlor, and made a nice green salad to go along with it. It was just the ticket, hit the spot, so to speak, and I am feeling good. I have my coffee pot perking right now, and I am getting primed up to watch the last episode of "Inspector Lewis" on PBS Masterpiece Theater. Good day, good night -- God is so Good to me!

In between all of this, I have been finalizing plans for my education. I am doing really well at Mercy College, so well (I think) that I am seriously considering trying to finish my degree earlier than planned. This would enable me to begin work and pursue my PhD more quickly. The Lord has placed Texas on my mind for a while now, and today we did another visit to the University of Texas website. I had settled on Philosophy because it was a joint program with their Classics department. It seemed to fit me well. Yesterday, however, the Lord started to lay a new direction on my heart, and today took me to their English department.

I wasn't too thrilled about a PhD in English simply because this is a difficult discipline for me. My strength is in writing, and that is what I love to do most -- so the Lord showed me that they have a PhD in Rhetoric (Writing)! Whoopee! Moreover, this program is only 24 units beyond the MA, and is something I could completed within 2 years. This cuts my time in school from 6 years down to 3.5 -- a huge savings financially and time-wise. I am in awe of Him.

Furthermore, this program is considered to be among the finest, if not the finest, in the nation when it comes to Rhetoric. They have a very strong track record for placing graduates in Universities and Colleges, and they offer oodles of teaching support. I am sold!

Now it is just a matter of getting in -- they have tough standards, mostly in language, and grade point averages. I don't think the latter is a problem as I tend to be an A-student. I am deficient in language though, so I hope to take 2 semesters of Accelerated Latin to cover that issue up for good. Anyhoo, I am thrilled with this plan, and I am trusting the Lord for His timing and provision.

No comments: