October 26, 2010

Praying for Manna from Heaven

And when the dew that lay was gone up, behold, upon the face of the wilderness [there lay] a small round thing, [as] small as the hoar frost on the ground. ~Exodus 16:14 KJV

In the Old Testament, we read of the account of Moses and the children of Israel as they fled from Egypt and journeyed to the Promised Land. Along the way, they ran out of food, and they began to grumble (complain) to Moses that they were starving, and about to die. They accused him of bringing them out of Egypt and into this desert place simply to die -- as if they were not already dying under the burden of slavery imposed by Pharoah? Moses prayed to God, and God rained down manna from heaven. This food, known as "angel food," was given to the Israelites every morning that they tarried in the wilderness (40 years!) We can find the story in the Book of Exodus, but the phrase, "Manna from Heaven," is often quoted in response to any great need or gift asked for of God. Typically, the petitioner asks God for "manna" or the exact gift he or she requires, and then faithfully waits for the Lord to open up Heaven and rain down the needed item on them.

I am in such a predicament tonight. I am praying for Manna to come down from Heaven. My needed Manna is this job with Phoenix College. I go tomorrow for a second interview, and I am getting nervous about it. I re-read the job description and have to tell you that now I am concerned that I may be in the running with other, more qualified individuals. Oh drats!

I had hoped that it would be just me, and that I would receive the offer tomorrow. Perhaps that is still the case, perhaps this is God's Manna for me?

Dear Lord,

I pray in Jesus Name for Manna to come from your blessed storehouse in Heaven. You know my needs, you know that this is the only job that I have opportunity to interview for, and that this job seems far above my skills and experience. Furthermore, I shared this job post with someone who told me that I wasn't qualified for the job. I am not sure if they were jealous or being serious, but my confidence is shaken a bit. I know you have the perfect job for me. I know I can do this job. I know this because you led me to this job, you told me to apply, and you gave me wisdom to get through the first interview. Now, I need your wisdom to get through the second interview, and I need your provision for this job so that I can live the life you are calling me to live. I give you all the glory, all the praise, and all the honor -- in your Name alone do I ask this now, Amen.

No comments: