November 18, 2010

Some News

Well, I survived Macy's One Day Sale Event yesterday. I worked from 7-11:30 p.m., and it was a zoo. We actually had customers in the store at 11:00 -- who'da thunk that one? I have to work tonight too, but normal closing hours, 6-9:15 p.m. Tomorrow, I work from 12:45-9:15 p.m., which is really a hideous shift, but oh well...money is money, and I need the money!

I am sluggish today, slowly moving and getting about my day. I have my cello lesson at 2:15, and then work this evening. My son is working at church from 2-5 p.m., and then having dinner with my parents (I think). Oh, the plans do get complicated when we both work odd hours. But, thanking the Lord for His generous provision -- we are ever so greatful that His is God and that He is in control of the details of our lives. Amen, so be it, thy will be done.

I have gotten some job news, and at the least, I am better off knowing what will not be for us. I applied to Follett Corporation again. They are a higher education company based out of Illinois, and are located all over the USA and Canada. They manage college bookstores, so they have both the retail end and the corporate development end of the business. They always have lots of jobs posted, but I have never had any success getting through their screening process. I applied for three positions within Vanderbilt University, and then Volunteer State CC. These were 'training' positions which I thought would be a good way into this business. I was qualified, but I got emails back on all three, thanking me for my interest, but telling me they already had a better qualified candidate. I don't know if that is an internal hire or just someone local. Oh well, so Nashville is out.

This leaves me with several unknowns, several jobs still in play:
  • I have decided that Target is not going to hire me -- I think for the same reason as Follett. They tend to promote from within, and their training programs want college grads or someone within their system.
  • The CC here in Phoenix has been a wall of silence. I have heard that it is nearly impossible to get hired within the MCCCD, and I think that after one year of trying (and 17 applications, and 2 interviews), I am going to look elsewhere. This means that I am still waiting to hear on Phoenix College, but now that we are close to a month from when I was told I would hear "definitively," I am thinking that this position is either filled, or that the college is not going to fill it due to budget concerns.
  • The position at the University of Chicago Press is the one I want more than anything. It is the one job I could see myself doing forever, and the one location where I would move in a heartbeat. This position is on the Hyde Park campus, and if you have ever been to the Museum's in Chicago, then you were right there -- the museums sit on the waterfront, the campus is just a couple blocks down the street. I have wanted to work here since I was a child, and often dreamed about it. I am qualified (as I have been for most of the jobs I applied for already), so this is up to the Lord. If the Lord chooses UCPress, then the Lord will make it be so. I can do nothing more than keep faith, remain true, and trust the Lord. It is His provision for my life, and I have done what He has asked of me, so I let the rest be. Amen, so be it, thy will be done.

Now, not wanting to be a "negative Nancy" here, but I honestly do not know of any other option for me. I have applied till I am 'blue in the face,' for both local and national work, and nothing has come to pass. I don't know where to go from here. I don't know how to get a job other than what I am doing, which is to allow the Holy Spirit of God to direct me and then obey Him (I edit my resume, I write a new cover letter, and I submit the application and materials). I cast my net aside the boat, and I wait for the Lord of Glory to deliver me a boat-load of fish (ok, just one big fish!) I stand up, I toss the net aside, and I trust that the God of Glory will fill my net with the fish of His choosing. I can do nothing else, nothing more. I can only rely on Him for His provision, and then wait (wait as in actively wait and not passively wait) for Him to do what He does best (to quote David from "Independence Day" -- "do your stuff, take em' down"). Yes, I am waiting for God to take down the walls that surround me (like Joshua and the walls of Jericho). Yes, there are these high walls, and they surround me. I need them broken down, I need them to be taken down, so I can walk on through. I can only do what God has called me to do, and that is to wait for Him to bring them down. I walk on, I march just like the Israelites did, and I wait for God to "do His stuff, to take em' down!"

Only God can deliver me, only He can make my life into something. What I am today is a product of His handiwork. He fashioned me in my mother's womb, He raised me to new life when I was a young girl; and, He has consistently walked beside me every day, helping and guiding me and creating me into the person of His own choosing. Yes, God has been very Good to me, and His goodness exists, it permeates every aspect of my life, and it blesses me continually. His goodness flows from the mount, the very beginning of all things, and I stand in the flood, being washed and bathed in it. God is so very GOOD to me.

Update: Noonish Today

Well, I logged into the MCCCD system, and see that the posting for the position at Phoenix College shows that the candidate has been contacted. This is a change, though the posting doesn't show as hired or even second interview. The fact that they have contacted the candidate tells me that I have not been selected (Duh? I was not contacted by them, so be it.) I am not terribly disappointed, but see this as a sign from God. I had felt that the long time in between the second interview and this point wasn't boding well in my favor. It just seemed like there was too much time passing, and no update posted -- well, the writing was on the wall. Furthermore, the Lord and I discussed the issue with this job, the fact that there would be 6 months left and no certainty for the job being reposted. It seemed like a way to make some good income, but then I would be without work again. Moreover, given my situation at home, and the fact that I would need to move out and/or sell this house (in May/June), it wasn't a good thing to not have solid work under me. No, I see this as the Lord's hand, and that it means there is another job for me. I simply cast that net once again, and then wait for Him to deliver me the catch of my life -- the job of His choosing. Praise be to God, Always who Reigns, and Who Was, and Is, and Is to Come! Amen, so be it, thy will be done.

No comments: