December 22, 2010

Family Traditions

I just got back home from breakfast and shopping with my Dad.  I think we have done this for nearly 30 years, and it always is special.  We go to breakfast and then decide what gifts Mom would like.  I usually suggest some things, and then Dad agrees or disagrees.  He is pretty agreeable, so Mom almost always likes what I get her (er, what Dad gets her!)  It was nice, and since my Dad is getting older, just another way for us to stay connected.  I love my parents, and I am so blessed that God chose them for me.  I don't always agree with them, and sometimes they get on my nerves (and vice versa -- you know, family), but I would say that 9 times out of 10, I feel blessed to have been given such great parents.  God has truly given a great gift to me, and I am amazed at the tender mercies that are mine each and every day.

I am fading fast today...made it through shopping, and power walking (with Dad on his scooter), and now think I am ready for a nap.  Still coughing and with laryngitis, I feel sick.  God is good to me, and I know that I will make it through my evening shift at Macy's tonight.

Jesus is the reason for the season, and despite all the Christmas wishes and good cheer -- He is the only reason to celebrate.  I turn my eyes toward Jesus, and there they firmly rest.  It is in no one else, in no other name, and in no other person that I will ever find safety, security, peace, and hope.  Jesus, Come Lord Jesus -- rescue us and bring your sweet peace to us this day. Amen.

No comments: