December 10, 2010

I'm Dreaming of a New Cello

Yes, Bing would probably not like the fact that I changed the words to the song he made famous, but I am dreaming of getting a new cello for Christmas.  I have been looking at cellos for about 6 months, and I have settled on a couple of makers thus far.  I have thought about purchasing it from Southwest Strings in Tucson, but I have heard that big box music stores are not the best place to get good instruments.  Though I am looking at good makers, still, there is a lot to be said for setup, and the professional who is doing the work.

This is why, I think, I have settled on purchasing my first real cello from LindaWest.com.  She is a cellist who now sells cellos out of Santa Barbara, CA.  I have read very good things about her, and I think she is the right person to help me pick out my first cello.  Furthermore, she will set it up so that it is ready for me to play (to the best of my ability and the instruments ability).  I have listened to her cellos (she offers midis so you can hear what they sound like -- I especially like that alot), and think she knows her stuff.

I have the money set aside.  I was going to use it to move out of my home, but the Lord has not chosen this path for me, and has suggested instead I save this money for a cello (well, I am not sure if that is what I am to do, just that I am not to move out nor am I to spend the money -- so there).  I am leaning towards a Sheng Liu cello, which is Korean made.  It is a good intermediate cello, comparable to Eastmans' 305 line (good for students and advancing cellists).  It won't break the bank, and it can be customized to fit my needs.  I think I like it so this is what I am going to pray about and then consider purchasing after the first of the year.

No comments: