April 20, 2012

Lessons from Driver's Training

My son has his learner's permit. We went to the MDV today to pick up the "official" card, so technically, he is allowed to drive with a licensed adult. On the way home, he asked if he could have a driving lesson today. I said, "yes," and then we spent about an hour learning how to drive my Kia Rio. His dad will take him tomorrow to practice on the SUV, but since he will primarily be driving my car, he needs to learn how to drive a manual transmission.

We took our time today, and drove around several nearby neighborhoods so my son could practice shifting, and working the clutch. He did pretty well, though I only allowed him to get into 2nd gear. We will work more this week, and hopefully, he will be ready for his driving test in the next couple weeks. I have paid for professional driving lessons, and he will schedule his free time after school to train with the teacher. I wanted him to have professional lessons along with practice so that he would be a really good driver.

I have 100% confidence that my son will be a good driver. He is very conscientious and he listens well. I know that I can trust him with my car.

Learning how to drive is a big step in the life of anyone, but especially a young person. My son is an amazing young man. Not only is he an honor's student at the Community College, but he is also excelling in professional pursuits as well. He volunteers at church, and he is constantly studying to improve himself. Next fall, he will be taking 17 credits at PVCC along with 8 foreign language credits at another school. He is determined to learn as many foreign languages as possible, so he will start with German for four semesters, followed by Norwegian and other Scandinavian languages as he can find classes or courses.

He wants to be a Linguist. He plans to complete his music studies first, then go for a second Bachelor's degree in Linguistics. He can do it -- if anyone can -- he can. I am so proud of him. He has really turned into a fine young man, and I am so blessed that he is my son.

As I consider my life, I look over the contents of it, and I realize just how blessed I have been. God has provided me with every blessing under Heaven. I have for all intents and purposes one of the most blessed lives I know. I am thoroughly immersed in the Holy Spirit, and I am under His control and direction. I listen carefully, and I am watchful to make sure I don't go astray. I am doing as the WORD says -- keeping alert, and paying close attention. In doing so, I am confident that the plans the Lord has for me, will indeed come to pass.

Today, I started my morning feeling so very befuddled and uncertain. Now, midway through my day, I see things clearly. I realize that I am moving again. I am back in the river of God's will, and I am flowing with His Holy Spirit and not against Him. I am letting Him do what needs doing, and I am resting in His provision for me. I know that I am good. I know that my life is good. And, I know that the plans the Lord has for me are so very good. God is good all the time, and all the time, God is so very good! PTL! God is GOOD!

No comments: