May 11, 2012

Faith Works!

"Finally, my brethren be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having gird your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints--"Ephesians 6:10-18

I prayed yesterday and confronted the spirit of procrastination demanding in Jesus' Name that it leave me alone, and it did. I had felt this oppression settle over my mind, and it seemed like the past three weeks, I had absolutely no interest in doing anything. Every time I thought about tackling some job or some task (like writing my essays), I would become lazy, tired or unfocused. Hours would rush by before I had realized just how much time was wasted, with little to no progress. But yesterday, I stood up, lifted my shield of FAITH and picked up my SWORD OF THE SPIRIT. I stood upright, ready for battle, and proclaimed victory in Jesus!

My mind cleared, my focus returned, and I completed a 9-page essay in about four hours last evening. I still need to proof and edit it, but it is done! KA-CHING! I have one other essay to write today, and then I need to finalize my thesis before Monday. For all intents and purposes, I am 98% done with my graduate courses this semester, and on my way to graduation day on Wednesday, May 23rd. Hallelujah! I am done (almost)!!

I am sorry that it took me so long to rescue myself from the oppression of a procrastinating spirit. I wish now I would have stood up and defended myself three weeks ago. I could have rested and enjoyed my April-May, and gone into the summer less pressured and rushed. Time is always an excellent magnifier of what was, and what might have been -- but so be it -- I did what I did, and I am done with it.

Now I am ready to take the next step, to go out and do what the Lord has asked me to do. I cannot believe that I am going, really going...I am poised and ready to go! I know that I will come up against opposition again and again, and I know what to do. Now may I "just do it" as Art Williams said (see previous blog post with this motivational clip). I need to put on the whole armor of God, and be prepared for the enemies assault.

"Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:8 NLT

I don't want to be devoured, and while I know that the Holy Spirit of God is far stronger and better able to defend me than any thing I could do -- my enemy still seeks to attack me and keep me from accomplishing the will of God through Christ Jesus. BTW - the enemy knows the power Spirit of Christ too, he just tries to attack us when we are weak or weary (not alert as Scripture advises).

I am contented today to know that my God reigns, and that I am right where I need to be. I am no longer worried about what tomorrow will bring. I don't know for certain that things will be this way or that, but I do know that in all things I am able to overcome because Christ has overcome them for me. I rest in the finished work of Jesus Christ. I put my faith and trust in the One who has finished the work, and who is coming again to vanquish the enemy once and for all. I know that I am set free, that I do not live under the power of this prince. I live under the authority and testimony of Jesus -- the WORD OF GOD. I live in freedom, and I am able to do all things abundantly well through the power of His Name.

Praise to God forever and evermore. Amen, so be it. Thy will be done.

No comments: