July 29, 2012

Settling In and Setting Up Shop

I made the decision to set up shop, and so far I am pleased with the result. I had to rethink my plans for setting my desk in the front window of my room. I liked it there, but it became the prime perching spot for my two boys, and after about two weeks trial run, decided that I need to move it back to the side wall (safer, and less worries). I did this yesterday, and I finally hung up all my photos and pictures. I have been wanting to do this since I moved to this place back in November. Now I have almost everything the way I want it to be. Yes, the desk is a little crowded, but it should be doable for the work I am called to do. I can do this, I know I can.

I moved my filing cabinet into my closet, and I think it is going to work nicely there. It is out of the way, but I can still access my client files (potential clients) as well as all my personal papers (whoo hoo! I have needed to get organized for over two years!!) The printer, a Samsung Laserprinter, sits on my desktop, and it does take up a lot of room. I was going to invest in a printer/scanner but now think I will just get by with what I already have on hand. A scanner would be nice, but I have no place to put one, so for now, I will make do with this very good, and very sturdy little printer (thanks to Pastor Brent Peak and Miss Lora Lee White for donating it to my family last year!)

Plans for Opening Business

I already purchased my business cards. They are black with a lime green border, and somewhat plain. I would have liked to have a logo, but these cards will do the trick for now. In time, I may actually incorporate and then pick a company name. For the time being, however, I will just work under my own name and personal domain name (carolhepburn.com).

I am still short software, but the plans for now are to use the following:

  • Freeway Pro for Mac (to design graphic websites)
  • Dreamweaver CS6 (to design for mobile and tablets)
  • Text Wrangler (HTML and CSS3 by hand)
  • Photoshop CS6 
  • Miscellaneous Adobe products (Fireworks, Flash, Illustrator) as needed
I have my own server space to begin offering hosting again. The only other thing I need to do is to get up to speed using Google's host of products (Analytics, Ad Sense, Docs, etc.) It has been a while since I used any of these services, so I need to brush up on their features so I can incorporate them into my designs.

I also have a separate phone number (thanks to Google Voice) which will allow me to give it out for business, and not have to advertise my personal numbers. The only thing I don't have is a street address. I don't like to have my personal home address on my business cards or website, so I am thinking that I will register a PO Box next month. This means I will need to re-order business cards, but at $10 a box (250 cards through Vistaprint.com), I can handle it.

Grand Opening

My plan was to open shop on Tuesday, August 1, 2012. Not sure why I picked that day other than the fact that it is the beginning of the month. I had hoped to be resigned from my job at University of Phoenix, but I think I will probably have to work there a while until I can be on my own. My goal is to be self-employed, self-supporting within the month. How will I do that? I have no idea personally, but I know my God is able to do all things, so that is where I am placing my trust.

In Progress

My tasks for today include redoing my website using Freeway Pro, and creating some marketing flyers to send to potential customers. It is a lot for me to do, but I am confident that I can do it. I know that I am not able to do anything really. This is all of the Lord, and it is His will for my life. I am trusting in Him to provide the Grace, and the Ability to do these last tasks. I have been faithful to do what was asked of me, and now I wait for Him to move forward and create this new way for my life.

Thank you, Lord, for your great provision and for your constant protection. I ask now that I be able to do all the work desired, and that I be given the ability to do this work well. In your GREAT NAME, I pray, Amen.

No comments: