September 8, 2012

Hooray for the Weekend!

Yes, my Saturday has just started, and I am already feeling anxious about having to go into work. Thankfully, I am going in at 11 and will only be there for four hours. The job is getting to be such a grind for me. I can do what needs to be done in about 4 hours, but M-F, I have to fill out 8 hours. It used to be that you could spread that 4 hours of work out, but now they want to see activity/productivity in every 1/2 block. This means that you have to be on the phone, active in conversation OR attempting to reach a student. So in short, that is 6.5 hours out of your day you need to be on the phone with students.

In some areas of the Northeast, this is very doable. In Business and Technology, for example, advisors are receiving 4-6 inbound calls per day, and factor in that each might take 20-30 minutes (rounding up to the 1/2 hour) that is 2-3 hours of "talk time" each day. Now with follow up calls and retention, etc. it is very easy to fill out 4-5 hours in talking to students. This leaves a little time to make prospecting calls.

However, in Healthcare, I am receiving 2-3 inbound calls per day. So at 30 minutes, that is 1-1.5 hours in "talk time." I have to fill out 6.5 and since my students do not require as much time on the phone, I am prospecting something like 5 hours a day just to remain "active." My database is limited, even though I have over 3000 leads in it. I don't have active leads, and most of my dials are to people who expressed interest over 3 years ago.

We used to have a mature leads group, but they were absorbed into the rest of the division. I am responsible for dialing at least 80 students per day. If I let the call go to the message, and then hang up (since they didn't pick up), that takes me 40 minutes in dialing (80 x 30 seconds = 240 seconds/60 seconds (minute) = 40). The math says that my normal productivity is rounding out to be 1 hour and 40 minutes to 2 hours and 30 minutes. This is about where my stats say I am at each day.

The scrutinization is killing me. The constant numbers game to demonstrate activity is what has done me in. I can do my dials and service my students in 2.5 to 4 hours a day; but I have to justify my "existence" and that means dialing 80 to 100 more numbers than other people in my division.

I heard last week that the upper-ups want to see 80 dials or 4 hours of talk now. Well, if they settle for 80 dials, then they are itching to let people go for non-productive work. I am tired of leaving voicemails for students. If I leave a voicemail, and then replay it, I can get an extra 2 minutes to my 80 dials. So that means that instead of 40 minutes, I can stretch that time to about 1.5 hours. The issue for me is leaving the same message for the same person for the 8-9th time. I am sure the student hates it, and I hate having to do it.

Today, my goal is to take 2 QC calls (transfer calls) and make about 40 dials. I figure if I do half the work I would on a full Saturday, then that is good enough. My boss and director may not like it, but since I am giving notice to them next week -- it is what it is. I am going to be available to help real/live students, and then use the rest of my time to leave drone calls. It is the nature of this business, and the nature of this work.

Thinking Ahead

I have my resignation letter typed out and I need to turn it in next week. I have been wanting to turn in my notice early, but I have been fearful of doing so because I could get let off without pay. If I wait to give notice, then I run the risk of ticking them off -- not that this matters because I am not coming back to them ever again. However, there is professional etiquette to consider and I don't want to be rude. I have asked the Lord what to do, and for now, my letter is dated 9/14.

My start date for my new job is set for 9/17. I am assuming that my background check is good as is my drug screen. My HR person has said I am good to go for that date, so I am taking that to me that this is true. I am pleased, and I am looking forward to working in a new job, with new people, and new tasks.

Lastly, as I consider my path and where I am today, I cannot help but see the hand of God upon my days at UOPX. I have completed 1 year and 3 months there, and while it was difficult and very tiring, I made it through. I have met some nice people, and I have learned some new skill (mostly conversation). I am happy to be free, and I am looking forward to what the next year brings to me. God has promised Good to me, and I am trusting in His Promise and in His Provision. I know that we are blessed, and we are covered with His Mercy and Grace. I see it, I can feel it, and I know it is so.

As I think about tomorrow and what will be in my life, I only see good things, good opportunities, and good outcomes. I don't see anything negative, difficult or painful. Yes, there may be negative, difficult and painful things ahead, but they are not of my choosing, not of my hand. Therefore, should I encounter these challenges, they will be there for a reason and that reason is to continually conform me to His Way. I know this, and I accept that fact that in life, there will be seasons of trial, times of challenge to strengthen and to harden off (as in plants -- to make them straight and able to withstand wind and elements). Likewise, I also know that in God's plans for my life, everything He brings to me is very Good. His GOOD far outweighs anything less, and I can rest knowing that my life is blessed by His Goodness, and that in that GOOD there is peace, is hope, and is prosperity. My God is GOOD!

No comments: