September 1, 2012

My Last Saturday

Well, today was my last Saturday at the University of Phoenix. It went well, for the most part, and I did help three potential students with their education. I made my 90 crank dials (calls with no voicemail), just to demonstrate that I was "productive." I am glad that I don't have to do this again, even if I will have to work Tuesday-Friday next week.

My paperwork from CVS Caremark came in the post yesterday, and I made my drug screening appointment for 8:15 a.m. on Tuesday. I will sign and fax the papers back to them today, and then once the drug test is completed, should be able to give my notice. I am planning on a Wednesday announcement, and if all goes well, I will probably find that I am released the same day. If not, then I will work, T-F, and finish the week out.

My new boss has been coming on strong, reigning in the troops, and laying down the rails, so to speak. I heard that he has suggested that his team may have to work a set schedule, rather than flex. This means that many of the team will probably quit over being forced to work certain hours of the day. I know about half the team works a set shift to accomodate child-care, so basically they will be SOL unless they choose to conform to the standard set by this new person.

I also found out today that if a manager or director catches you watching CNN on your phone or computer, you will be immediately let go (walked out the building). They are unwilling to allow any non-productive hours in the day. I know, shouldn't be a big deal, but truthfully with the job that we do, a small amount of downtime is necessary. They want us to be plugged in and connected 7 out of 8 hours, and frankly, that is mind numbing.

I am so blessed to have a new job to go to, and to know that I don't have to wait this out. I can leave on Wednesday, forfeit two days pay and be OK. I also found out that I can take my 401K out for emergency use, but I will lose about $700 in penalties and taxes. I may open up an IRA account at my bank and just roll it over. I need the money, but I don't want to give up that extra earnings just to have the cash on hand.

Lastly, I am so relieved to know that I am going to this specific new team. I am happy with my choice, and I feel really contented about the work I will be doing. At first, I didn't want to give up the idea of being a project manager. I liked the "idea" of doing that kind of work. Now, though, I am really happy to be in member services and working in on boarding new employees. I think it is going to be a better fit for me, and be far less stressful in the long run.

God is so very GOOD to me. I am blessed and I am happy to know that He has provided such a good move for me. I cannot wait to leave my current job, and start this new and exciting opportunity with CVS Caremark.

No comments: