July 1, 2013

Choosing to Trust

Trust (n): Firm reliance on the integrity, ability, or character of a person or thing.

Trust in Jesus, for there is no other way; Trust in Jesus - trust and obey.


I so struggle with trust, yet the Bible is full of admonition for us to trust God. We are told how important it is to trust God (Prov. 3:5-6). We are told to lean upon Him, and to not place confidence in our own understanding. By acknowledging that He is God, that He knows what He is doing, we can trust - rely upon His character, and His integrity (adherence to moral principles; honesty). God is someone who keeps His word. He is trustworthy, and His Character is such that He cannot be anything other than honest.


I know that this is true. I stand firm in my commitment to this truth. God is trustworthy, and His character is without reproach. Yet, I struggle with trusting Him. I struggle so with believing that He is who He says He is, and with His word, which tells me the truth (John 17:17b).


I read a blog which listed out the Seven Habits of People Who Trust God. I like these traits, and I think that they say something of the people who place their trust in a Sovereign and Holy God.


  1. They accept suffering
  2. They accept the inevitability of death
  3. They have daily appointments with God
  4. In prayer, they listen more than they talk
  5. They limit distractions
  6. They submit their discernment to others
  7. They offer the Lord their complete, unhesitating obedience
I struggle to do 1, 4, and 6. I know that I should accept suffering, but instead I fight back. I don't like suffering, even when I know that the Lord receives glory through my earthly suffering. I talk to God a lot, mostly I talk - He listens. It should be the other way around. I know it, I am working on it. I don't share my concerns with others, preferring to figure things out on my own. I often mistake information, and make judgments that are not spot-on. Had I trust in others, I am sure I would make less errors. I need to work on that one as well.

Seven Habits of People who Trust in God - yes, I want to be classified as a person who trusts in God. I am so tired of missing the mark, falling short, being just a wee bit off -- I want His best for my life, and to get His Best, I have to let go and trust Him. I know this, I know so this well.


Today, I am resolved to trust the Lord with my whole heart. I am committed to obedience - without hesitation, and to following without question. I am ready to take the next step of faith, to go to the next level, to walk in total obedience, and complete surrender to His will -- regardless of when it will include suffering, and how it will end (in death of course). I know the plans I have for you says the Lord...


For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. Jer. 29:11 NLT

No comments: