July 27, 2013


Today is a great day. I am blessed, and I am living a blessed life. I give credit and all honor to the Lord, for He has done marvelous works in my life. 

Everyday I marvel at the magnificence of our Lord. He is a true Friend, a Father to the fatherless, and as Psalm 68:5 says, "a defender of widows." Yes, our God is Good, and His Goodness never will never end. It is from everlasting to everlasting. Praise to God the Father, to His Son, Jesus the Christ, and to the Holy Spirit. Amen, amen, and amen!

The Good News

Today is such a good day. I have to repeat it again, and again. God has provided abundantly to me, and He has shown me a way out of my current situation (or place), and is leading me into the place of His choosing. He has made a way for me, He has made a way.

God's Way is different from our way. Our way is created and determined by our own thinking, and it is predicated upon our personal experiences, and colored by our worldview. We often think our way can include God, but it cannot. The only way that includes God is the Way that belongs to Him. He is the Creator, He is the Sustainer, and He is the One who determines which way is best for us, and which way aligns with His perfect will for our lives.

I spent a lot of years going my own way. Do you remember that wonderful Bing Crosby moving titled, "Going My Way?" It is one of my favorite movies to watch during the Christmas season. I remember it because I love to watch Bing Crosby, and I always get a warm fuzzy feeling when I think about how life "used" to be back during the War years. I realize that I have romanticized the early years of the 20th century, thanks in part to Hollywood studios, and their big budget musicals. Still there is a part of me that looks fondly back on those old movies and thinks that life was more simple then. People didn't have as many choices to make, and men and women married and stayed married. The Church played an important role in the lives of families, and in general, life was very structured, and easy to live.

Yes, there were hard times. Money was scarce, and the world was at war, but nonetheless, it just seemed less complicated, less difficult to know your way.

My life has not followed a happy path. It has been difficult, and at times, it has been very lonely and sad. I have had good times too, and in truth, I would say my life has not been anything but average (comparatively speaking). Yet, I often wistfully look back to other eras, to times when life choices were easy (grow up, get married, have a family, retire).

I was raised in the church, though my family was not super active, and we didn't attend a deeply religious denomination. Church was something you did each Sunday, and summers were spent a Bible camp. I didn't come to know Jesus as Savior until I was 16. I came to know God much earlier, but I didn't really have any biblical understanding to know that Jesus was more than the baby we celebrated each Christmas.

I confessed my sin and professed faith in Jesus at 12, but again, I didn't really grasp what I was doing. I went along with the other teens at Bible camp just so I wouldn't stick out.

No, it wasn't until I was 16 when I actually learned who Jesus was and was taught about His Sacrifice that I came to know Him as Savior. My life changed then, and for nearly 35 years I have walked in the Christian Faith. It has not always been a true Faith walk, and I have not always been faithful. I tried for many years to live what I believed was the "Christian life." I tried to be the good Christian wife. I failed mostly, and I lived a hidden life that was joyful on the outside, but sad on the inside. It was not a good way to live.

I understand now why that was so, and I can now see the difference between a life lived my way and a life lived His way. It is like night and day, black and white - a stark contrast to what was the old, the former way when compared to the new way. I am blessed, and my life is blessed.

All this changed for me about eight years ago. My life was changed, and since that day, I have been on a whirlwind journey of learning to trust God, to lean upon Him, and to rest in His Sufficiency. It has not been easy, and there were many days when I cried out to Him and begged Him to help me understand. He was Faithful to me, and He even carried me through some of the toughest times.

I consider myself to be on the backside of that difficult walk now, and the going is much easier. However, it took a lot of sacrifice on my part, and it required a determination to lay down "my way" at His nail-pierced feet. Yes, I had to give up my way, and commit to following His way in every area of my life. In doing so, I have experienced tremendous help, comfort, care, and provision. I am well provided for, and my life has purpose and a determined focus. I know where I am going, and I know what I am to do. I have value in my identity, and I see value in other people now. I no longer feel inadequate when I am with others who may have different skills or better looks -- I am content to be who I am, and to know that I am exactly what He wants me to be. God is Good. All the time, He is Good.

As I prepare for another transition - leaving CVS Caremark and beginning a new job at Grand Canyon University, I will admit that I have concerns. I am leaving a full-time job with benefits for a part-time position that pays less and provides no health insurance. I have bills, I have needs -- but my Lord has me covered, and I believe that He has all this factored into His plans for me.

The change is hard for me to make. I would like to know that everything will be OK, I would like to see how it will be OK. Yet, I know that what I cannot see is not indicative of a lack of His Provision. It is simply that I cannot "see" what He sees, and as such, I have to trust, to rely upon, and rest in who He is - God.

Dear Lord -

You have provided everything I need, and I am so grateful to you. I am blessed, and I am good. You have done all this for me, and I marvel at your Mercy and Grace. I know that there is much more to come, and that I cannot see everything because not everything has been revealed yet. I rest in your Name, and in the Power of Your Great Name. I know you. I know you well, and I trust you to provide everything I need. You are God. You are Good, and I rest in that Goodness. Thank you, Lord, for everything you are doing in my life today, and for all the plans and provisions you have slated for my tomorrows. I give you the Praise now, and I lift up your Name and Honor You. Amen, So be it, Thy will be done. Selah! (Pause and calmly think about it.)

No comments: