August 24, 2013

Moving On

I finished my last week at CVS Caremark yesterday. It was a good day, and I left the company with happy thoughts and high hopes for a bright new future at Grand Canyon University.

My role as a Communications Analyst came to a close after one year working for this Fortune 500 Pharmaceutical company. It was a good year, overall, even though the welcome season and the stresses of poor management decisions caused a lot of issues, and led to a lack of employee retention.

I was one of seven members to leave the department. Two moved on from the Illinois office, and five from Arizona. Three went outside the company, and the rest moved into internal positions in other groups. Additionally, management suffered some changes as well with a senior leader leaving, and a manager being demoted.

All of this was the result of poor decisions on the part of senior leadership (both in the hiring and firing of vendors and employees). Needless to say, I am relieved to be out of this environment.

I start my new job at GCU on Monday. I will be an Instructional Assistant in three classes this fall: (2) English Composition, and (1) Developmental Writing class. I am very excited (finally) to be settled on this path. I waffled a lot during the last couple weeks -- mostly due to the uneasiness I felt with the pay and the lack of benefits (so it goes as Adjunct). However, as the time drew closer, I realized that there was nothing I could do about it. I am officially employeed at GCU, and while I work on contract, I am set to work 30 hours until the end of December.

I tried to apply for a couple other jobs, but found immediate turn-downs to my application. I gave in last week when I realized that this is the path I chose -- to take the open hand offered that would provide me with a way to become an Instructor. I have blogged about my lack of opportunity to become an Instructor since I was close to finishing my MA program. I went back to school, in part, to become a College Professor. It was a goal of mine from back when I was first in college. My life was interrupted by a blessing -- my beautiful son -- and I gave up all career ideas to be a SAHM.

Many years later, the Lord opened a door for me to return to school. I jumped at the chance, and I have enjoyed the ride since then. I have never looked back, never regretted going back to school. I love studying and learning, and I love being a student.

As a single Mom, it was hard to give up working full-time, a paycheck and benefits. But, I had a choice, and that choice was to take the offer at GCU to become one of their Adjunct Instructors -- AFTER -- one to two semesters as an Assistant. No other school offered this opportunity to me, and I considered it a gift from God. I took it, but I grumbled and complained throughout the weeks leading up to today.

I am on the path to become an Instructor. I will be an Instructor as soon as I decide I am ready to teach. Right now, I think being an "IA" is good enough. I have three classes with 93-97 students in each. I am not the only IA, but still, I will be pretty busy with all the papers and assignments.  In addition, I have two doctoral classes, and potentially a third research class this semester (at UOPX). I am booked solid, and truthfully, there is no way I would offer to teach without first experiencing the class environment.

I am looking forward to meeting with the instructors next week, and getting to see them in action. This could be me in a year, so I am going to be observing them, watching what they do, and how they do it. If this is the path the Lord has chosen for me, then I want to make sure I understand how to do the job -- and then do the job well.

Lastly, as I consider all that has happened, I am still a bit winged (as in being hit and slightly off-kilter). I feel like I am floating through this experience, and not really living it fully. It is like I am soaring along, but I am not doing anything. I believe this is what God had in mind when He said that He would do it through me. Is this not what the Apostle Paul said when he wrote Gal. 2:20 NLT, "My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

God has brought me through this past year. He has safe-guarded me, and provided for me. I am now embarking on a new path, following Him because I don't know where I am going or how I am to get there. I am resting in His ability to do all this work through me, living through me, and ultimately, bringing Himself the glory. I thank Him today for He is Good to me, so very Good to me.


No comments: