September 1, 2013

Day 1 Menu Plan

OK, so today I started my new lifestyle plan. I am using a combination of menus and approaches, but ultimately, my goal is to develop a way of eating that will be nutritious and good for me. I want to get off processed foods, and only eat natural foods, the kind of food that is grown or farmed. I do not want to eat packaged products that come in a box or can (with the exception of frozen fresh food).

Day 1 - Actual Weight

Yes, I stood on my computerized scale this morning (sans clothing) to get an accurate reading. I plan on weighing myself once per week (no sense in getting discouraged). This is a lifestyle overhaul and not a diet, so I am letting go of the daily weigh-ins and simply choosing to be thankful for the wellness that I achieve each week. My target goal for weight loss (I am overweight for my height and size) is 22 lbs. This is roughly 15% of my actual body weight. I am giving myself a target date of December 31, 2013 -- simply because it is always good to have a goal end date in mind.

Menu Plan - First two weeks

I have read through Adkins, the Primal Blueprint, Paleo, South Beach Diet, Maker's Diet, and the Daniel Plan. In all of these approaches, the emphasis is on eating whole foods. The no-nos are:


  1. Stick Margarine - using Butter instead
  2. Diet Soda - going with water
  3. Dairy (especially Milk) - I am slightly lactose intolerant, so only using it sparingly (for coffee)
  4. Breads, Pasta, and Rice - for now, no grains (later whole grains, but sparingly)
  5. Sugar - no sugar at all
I will be eating lean meat, eggs, vegetables for the next two weeks. After that, I will start adding in fruit in limited quantity. I will also think about adding back in whole grains.

My goal foods to eliminate for good include:
  1. Diet soda - I have been addicted to diet pepsi and coke since 2001 when I switched out the real thing for the diet version. No more chemicals, no more brain fog, and no more yo-yo weight gain.
  2. Candy, cookies, cakes, and other desserts - I have a sweet tooth, especially for pastry, so for the time being, I am saying no to these kinds of foods. Once I get through my two week metabolism boosting period, I will make whole food goodies (healthy snacks) that will substitute for my chocolate cravings.
  3. Processed and packaged foods - easy for me to grab and go, but packed with chemicals and other ingredients that are bad for you.
  4. Coffee - in limits now, but eventually saying good-bye to it
Breakfast Today

I made myself two scrambled eggs with about a TBSP of half-half (left over so I am using it up). I cooked 1 piece of bacon, and I added half a slice of Muenster cheese. Sauted in real butter with a little salt and pepper. Very good, and I was full all morning at church.

Lunch Today

I made myself a big bowl of salad. I used pre-packaged salad because I had it in the fridge, and I added four slices of deli meat (Turkey and Ham). Again, I used what I had in the fridge. I am not going to throw food out, but I will make sure to purchase organic when it is time to replace it. I topped it with 2 TBSP of Italian Dressing. I am out of good balsamic vinegar, so I used what was there, but measured it out.

My total carbs so far today are 10.8 and my goal is to stay between 20-25 each day. In two weeks, my carb count can go up to 50, but for now, I am forcing my body to burn what I have stored for fat, and I am restricting my carbohydrates to keep new fat from being stored.

Snacks

I haven't had snacks today, but I will probably need to factor that in this week. I will eat nuts or celery sticks with some cheese or something like that each afternoon. I plan to eat every 3 hours (7, 10, 1, 4, 7) and then no food after 8 p.m. 

Water

I am also drinking 3 liters of water each day (oh, if I can do it) to flush my system out.
This works out to about 12-13 cups of water per day (1 water bottle = 2 cups, 1 big cup w/straw = 2 cups). I will drink 6 glasses (my big cup w/straw) every day


Dinner Later

Dinner is going to be one meat plus one veggie (or big salad). Pretty simple, and I will eat whatever my Mom cooks for dinner, so long as it is not laden with sauce or a pasta dish.

Walking

I am walking about 1 mile per day at work. This works out to 5 miles per week (focused walking). I am going to start riding my bike in the early AM or PM once the weather cools down. I planned out a route that will enable me to bike anywhere from 2-4-8 miles (round trip). I plan to start small and just leisurely bike up to the next stop light. Once I build up endurance, I will bike 2-3 times per week the full route which will be 4 miles up and 4 miles back.

Weight Training

I have small hand weights some where, but I think I will purchase another set of dumb bells so I can start lifting weights to build up the muscles in my arms.


No comments: