September 11, 2013

September 11

The Lord is Good. The Lord is Good. The Lord is Good.

I was watching the morning news and remembering what happened 12 years ago today. Even though time has passed by it is hard to forget the events that happened on that day. I was at home when the planes hit the WTC towers. My son was getting ready to head off to first grade and because of the threat of more terror attacks I kept him home. I remember him watching the news and crying over what had happened. He was seven at the time and he still tells me that he remembers that day.

I pray our nation never forgets what happened. Not only did 3000 people lose their lives, but our nation was changed on that day. We woke up and realized that the world was not a nice place, and that there were people out there who wanted to harm us. I believe we lived in isolation, in safety, thinking that while there were terrorists out "there" somewhere, we were safely free from their reach. We learned a valuable lesson that day, and we need to be vigilant to ensure that we keep our nation safe today.

I am not for war. I hate war, and with a young adult son, I particularly hate the thought of war now. I hate to see our young men and women come home from afar with damage -- damage to their bodies, their minds, and their souls. It is horrific to see what war does to people, and we need to work for peace whenever possible. 

Psalm 102, verse 7 says this, "I search for peace; but when I speak of peace, they want war!" God is not a God of War. He is a God of Peace, yet often we go to war in His name. We should strive for peace, to be at peace with all men, if it is possible to do so. 

Romans 12, verse 18 encourages us to "Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone." We must proactively seek peaceful relations whenever possible.

Unfortunately, many of our enemies seek war with us. They do not want peace, and they actively promote war. How do we help our children understand the world and the chaos we live in?

God is a God over all things, and He sees the righteous and the wicked. Psalm 34:18, 21:

The righteous person faces many troubles, but the LORD comes to the rescue each time. 

and

Calamity will surely overtake the wicked, and those who hate the righteous will be punished.

God will not forget His promise. He will repay those who seek harm toward His Righteous ones!

We must continue to pray for peace, especially peace in Jerusalem. Psalm 122:16:

Pray for peace in Jerusalem. May all who love this city prosper.

Dear Lord,

I pray for peace today, peace throughout our world, but especially peace in Jerusalem, your beloved city. There are many people who hate your Righteous Ones, and I pray for your strong defense, and your Mighty protection against the wicked who seek to destroy your world. Guard and keep those you Love, and show us your Mercy today. May we not forget that we live in a fallen world, and that the enemy prowls around seeking to destroy those who call upon your Name. Give us your Grace today so that we can be your witnesses, and shine your Light and illuminate the darkness. I pray all this in the Matchless and Merciful Name of Jesus - Lord of All, Amen. So be it, thy will be done. Selah! (Pause and think calmly on it)

No comments: