November 9, 2013

Two Week Check-in

I completed my first two weeks at my new job. My experience was typical - a lot of information to process, people to meet, and routine to be set. Overall, I think it went well.

There are many positives to this job, and one real negative. However, the negative is something I cannot overcome or change, so I am having to learn to live with it and adapt to it. I work approximately 23 miles from my home. On a good day the commute to work takes me 30 minutes door to door. The commute home takes about an hour. On a day with traffic accidents, that time can easily be doubled. So far the traffic has been hit or miss with there being no real rhyme or reason to why the commute home takes me 1.5 hours. I have shifted my start time down by a half-hour and there seems to be no difference, so I have decided to stick with a 7:45 to 4:30 shift (with half-hour lunch). This gives me the best opportunity to avoid traffic jams. I am also going to try going up and around Camelback mountain rather than stick to the freeways. I have tried it twice and the first day my commute home was 1.15 hours long. Yesterday, my commute was 45 minutes. I think there is a shortcut I missed the first day, and accidentally found the second day. Anyway, my plan is to try taking Tatum Blvd to 44th Street to Priest to Fountainhead Parkway next week (both going and coming) to see if the drive is any shorter. If it turns out to be normal or falls within normal parameters I think I am going to stick with it because it is a pretty drive and the traffic moves at 30 MPH versus the stop/go of the freeway.

Other news is scant today. I don't really have much to say because the last two weeks has been focused on getting used to the new job. I am winding down with my courses, and I have about 4 more weeks to complete my final projects. I am hopeful that I will get As, but I will have to wait to see if I can do well enough from this point out.

That's it for today. It is a good day, warm and sunny, and I am feeling OK. Oh yes, my weight loss update. I was able to lose 12 lbs on Atkins. I have stayed at this weight for a month now and I am planning to do Induction again starting next week. I still have 20 lbs to go, but for now, I am pleased to be down one full-size.

No comments: