February 17, 2014

Psalm 107:15

God is Good. I am so thankful that I can say that today. He is good. He is so very good.

As I consider this day, I lift my voice up and cry out to the Lord. He has made me, He has made a life for me, and He is making His way in and through me. I stand amazed at His goodness, and at the way He guides me and sustains me. I don't have it all figured out, that is for certain, but I am filled with hope and confidence and the belief that no matter what comes my way today, God has prepared and planned the details. I can rest. I can trust Him. I can be safe and secure in His details. He knows what will be, what opportunities exist for me, and where He wants me to go. I don't have to think about it, worry about it, fret over it, and be consumed by fear. No, He has set me free, and I can live in the fullness of the Hope of His Glory at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ! He is so good. He is so very Good to me! Praise God today for His Goodness!!

It is a beautiful Monday in sunny and warm Arizona. I think the weather forecast calls for sunny skies and warm temperatures in the 80's today. This is our "normal" spring weather. We love it here, especially when the rest of the country is stuck in knee-deep snow. The blessing, of course, comes now because our "curse" is the long hot summer that will begin sometime in May and linger on through October. Yes, we are blessed with beautiful winter weather, but we pay for it when summer comes. I am sure that there are folks in the east and Midwest who think the same thing -- they pay for their lovely wet summers with months of bitter cold and snow. I guess it is your perspective.


Yeah, this is me sometimes. I am a half-full/half-empty person. It just depends on my mood and my circumstances each day. I shouldn't be this way because the fullness of the Lord always gives us an optimistic outlook (Luke 1:37, Matt. 19:26).

Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Yes, with God, all things are possible. God is able to do anything and everything He desires to do. Nothing is to hard, to high, or too difficult for Him. With man, everything is a challenge. Even the most skilled and gifted men will fall (Is. 40:30-31). Our attitude, therefore, should be like our God. It should be the same (Phil. 2:2) and we should remain faithful knowing and trusting that God knows everything (Ps. 139), and that He is able to do more than we could ever ask or even think to ask (Eph 3:20).

This is how we should be -- every day we should be filled to overflowing with His presence and as a result -- we should be living an abundantly full life.

NOT. I know this is true. I believe it is possible. Yet, I am not this way. Oh, how I wish I were living in abundant peace, prosperity, and goodness.

I struggle with seeing this as a possibility. The error of my way is that I am seeing God's glass as half full and not as overflowing. In God's economy, there is no other way but overflowing. Hence, if we are born again, living in the fullness of His presence, it only follows that our life is also overflowing with His goodness. Why is it that we fall short, fail to experience this abundant life?

I believe the reason why we settle for less than His best is that we do not trust Him to provide His best to us. We hope for His best. We think about His best. Yet, we fail to accept His best for our lives. We believe that we do not deserve His best. We think that we have failed Him so badly, so thoroughly, so completely, that we cannot be a recipient of His best for us. Of course, this is true -- we have failed Him. Our sins were once red as scarlet, our heart was stained crimson red. We were condemned, convicted, and sentenced to a life of imprisonment and facing the ultimate penalty of separation from God for all eternity.

Past. This was our past. Before Jesus. If we have confessed our sins, accepted Jesus as our Savior, then we are no longer condemned or convicted of our sins. We are born again. We are set free (John 8:36). We are now children of the King, joint heirs with Jesus. Once living isolated and lost, we are now part of the Kingdom of God, the family of the King. Praise be to God!

If the above is true (say it is so!) then we must stop seeing ourselves as half-empty people. We must understand the totality of Christ's sacrifice on the cross of Calvary. He died for our sins. He saved us from the penalty of eternal separation from God. But that is not the end.  The glorious news is that He raised us to newness of life. This newness of life is a gift of grace that is intended for our good. We can now live full lives, wholly devoted to God, and to His Kingdom purpose.


My determination this day is to choose to praise God. I am choosing to be a half-full person, a person who lives in the overflowing presence of the Lord. My glass is full to overflowing, every day, no matter the trial, the tribulation, or the turbulence of my life. My life has been remade, and I am no longer identified by my previous self. I am new. I am whole. And I am alive today, filled with His Grace, and living fully devoted to Him. Praise God for His Goodness today. He is Good. All the time, He is Good.

No comments: