April 30, 2014

Defying Gravity

Oh, I love this musical! I never thought I wanted to see it, but then my son (the performer/musician) started to listen to the soundtrack and I just fell in love with the music and the lyrics.

I guess that is the weirdness about me and my son. We both love musicals! He is probably the more fanatical about it than I am -- I am sure it is because of his interest in music and performance.

I remember taking him to see "The Phantom of the Opera" when he was 10. He had just started taking piano lessons and he was obsessed with this musical. He loved the organ (he still tells me he wants a pipe organ when he grows up! LOL!) and begged me to get him one. He got a piano instead.

I think this is partly why he enjoys studying Theater Arts too. He enjoys the technical aspects of theater as well as acting and singing. He is currently working as a substitute at Phoenix Theater this week. He is running the spot light for their performance of "Les Mis." He is also set to be Stage Manager for the summer musical at PV Community College.

I am really glad that he decided to trust me and check out ASU West's new degree program, Interdisciplinary Arts and Performance. I found it while searching online and I knew right away it would be a good fit for his interests. It is experimental and combines his love of theater, musical, sound engineering, and design. I don't know what he will do for a job, but for now, this program will help him figure out what he really wants to do. At the least, he can always get a job as a Stage Manager.

So back to "Wicked." The touring company is coming to ASU Gammage in January 2015. I am definitely going to go. I have already put it on my calendar.

No comments: