May 2, 2014

Getting Back on Track

Happy May 2nd! It is very hot here today, but the sun is shining and all is right with the world. I am excited to report that my weight-loss program seems to be working (eating healthier meals, less diet soda, and more water). I am down a couple pounds, and so far the weight seems to be staying off! Hooray!

Today, I went to Kohl's and I bought myself a pair of running shoes. I thought I still had my old ones, but I think they were tossed in the move. I found a nice pair on sale -- oh my goodness -- sale means $10 off of $80 bucks! I also stopped by Super Target and picked up some new digs so that I look fashionable while I am flailing and falling all over myself as I attempt to get back into shape. Yep, but at the least, I will look good!

My fitness plan for right now is to follow the Couch-5k plan that my friend, Marie, suggested to me. It is supposed to take you from sedentary to active with the least amount of hurt possible. I need this so badly, so I am starting tomorrow (it is too hot now). My goal is to build up to running about 5 miles by the end of the year. I am slow, but I have good endurance, so I think this is very doable for me. I am also going to be using free weights to help build upper body strength. Truthfully, I need to do Pilates or something like that to help build up my core, but for right now, I am going to focus on healthy eating, drinking a lot more water, and running daily.

To help track my progress, I am using Atkins tracker (for food tracking) and Mapmyrun (for my route). I am also using MyFitnessPal for the Couch-5K plan. All three are apps on my iPhone, so I have no excuse for not following through on my fitness plan for 2014. Plus, I have no work over the summer, and I just found out that one of my doctoral classes has practically no requirements for the first month. Whoop!

OK, so I am doing this, I am going to do this...it is about time too. I put on extra weight after my marriage woes in 2010. At first, I lost weight and I was very thin. Then once I started working full-time, I sat all day, and I had access to free food (UOPX was really bad about having treats every where). I put on 10 lbs the first year. Slowly that 10 has crept up to 15 and that is where I am at now. I have made it my goal to lose 10 lbs by Regent (June 9-13). I will work on the remaining 5 over the summer so that by fall I should be back to my goal weight.

My body shape is hourglass. I don't show the weight so people assume I don't have a weight problem. I know, 15lbs, is not a weight problem. I am slightly over my BMI for my height, 5' 6".  I notice the way my clothes fit, and I feel the extra weight whenever I exert myself. I am also struggling with my age and hormones, a deadly weight-loss/maintenance combination. It is so hard to lose weight once you hit 50 -- as a woman -- I mean.

My shape tends to like to carry extra weight around the hourglass part of my body -- so the lower portion of my body, hips and thighs, along with the upper portion, simply makes me look more curvy then I prefer. I never liked being hourglass -- I always wanted to be a plank! I had friends in high school who were super thin, just very straight up and down. They were athletic, and they had strong arms and legs. Then there was me -- this very curvaceous young girl. I covered myself up, dressed down so as not to accentuate a certain part of my anatomy, and I prayed that no one (aka, I mean boys) would notice me. Of course, I still got noticed, and I think that is why I never really got comfortable with my body shape.

Now I am OK with the way God made me. I mean, I am not super skinny. I am not a plank! I have everything a woman is supposed to have, and I realize that I need to take care of it, to keep it all in good working order. I will never be tiny on top. I will never be tiny on bottom. I have this narrow waist, and the rest, well the rest is just curves. So be it. It is what it is. I can thank my Dad's sisters (from Indiana) for giving me that all-American farm girl body. My Mom was the super skinny one, and unfortunately, I got my genes from the other side of the family! LOL!

Tomorrow is the first day of my new fitness plan. I have everything in order so I am going to get myself out of the sack early (before the heat sets in), and start walking/running. I am sticking with low-carbs for now, salads, lean meats, etc. to help boost my fat burning, and I am sucking down the water. My prayer is that my new attitude toward health and fitness is approved by the Lord. He knows that I would like to look better in my clothes (vanity), but He also knows that I need to do this for my overall health and vitality (well-being). I know He will favor me, and He will bless my efforts.

God is good, He is so very good to me.

No comments: