May 3, 2014

Happy May!


May 1 is traditionally the day when nations around the world (in the Northern Hemisphere) celebrate the pagan/pre-Christianized holiday called "May Day." In many countries, May Day, is still marked as a traditional celebration of the coming of Spring, with festivals, food, dancing, and general merrymaking (don't you love that word?). In other countries, the focus has shifted toward social agenda including the plight of immigrants and injustice of worker rights.

In the US, May Day used to be celebrated in the traditional way. Wikipedia states, "May Day was also celebrated by some early European settlers of the American continent. In some parts of the United States, May Baskets are made. These are small baskets usually filled with flowers or treats and left at someone's doorstep. The giver rings the bell and runs away. The person receiving the basket tries to catch the fleeing giver; if caught, a kiss is exchanged" (Wikipedia, n.d.). I like this idea, and I think it would be fun to enjoy celebrating Spring this way. I guess I am a hopeless romantic when it comes to history, traditions, and cultural practice. Sigh!

Regardless of where you live, I wish you a very happy and belated "May Day." May your "May" be filled with spring bouquets of flowers, and if you get a chance to kiss someone special, I pray you find sweet success (VBG!)



It is a good Saturday in sunny and hot Phoenix. The forecast calls for triple-digits in some parts of our valley. Today's high in North Phoenix, where I live, is supposed to be just a smidgen under 100. Next week, thank goodness, our daytime highs are supposed to be back in the high 80s to mid-90s.

Normally, we don't see triple digits until later in the month, and then we stay consistently in the 100s-110s for most of the summer. Our normal high in summer is only about 105-106, but we can see days that top out near 120, depending on the weather patterns.

It is going to be rough this summer, considering that we (my parents and me) do not have a pool to use. My folks sold their home with pool last spring in order to downsize. The summer wasn't too bad because I was working full-time and I left for work in the early AM and arrived home in the early PM. I missed most of the awfulness of the heat by being indoors all day long. This summer, however, I am off work and it would be sure nice to have a pool. Sigh!

Thinking positively...I plan to enjoy my summer with or without a pool. The mall is cool, and there is always the planned trip to VA in June and a visit to my see my brother in San Diego sometime in mid-July. August is normally very hot and sticky so I may also take a weekend and head up to Flagstaff -- to the cool pines and lovely mountains -- to do some camping and hiking.

Hmm...my summer is sounding nicer and nicer all the time...

No comments: