May 16, 2014

Moving Again


It can be hard to be still and listen for God's voice. I know this is true because I struggle with stillness. I am a person who likes to be busy, to be active. I want to keep moving, keep walking, keep achieving. There are times, however, when the Lord asks me to be still, to sit quietly and listen to His voice. In these times, I find refreshment and peace. I need these times to learn what He wants me to do, and how He wants me to go about doing "it" -- the thing He is asking of me. When I do not sit still and listen, then I tend to run off in the direction I ASSUME is best. If I would only stop for a moment, rest in His presence, and LISTEN to His voice, then I would know for certain which way to go.

Today, I am sitting still and listening to His voice. I feel that He is telling me to go a certain way, to do a certain thing, and my heart's desire is to obey Him. I struggle because I don't understand what it is He wants. I know His voice, and I know He will lead me. I don't have to struggle, I can rest and be assured that what He is asking me to do is the truth. God's WORD is always true.

It is hard, though, because I want to make sure I am doing the right thing. I want to make sure that I am not making a mistake, and that I am really hearing His voice. How do you know? How can I be certain? I have asked for clarification, and I have asked for confirmation. Now, I wait. Yet, the longer I wait, the less certain I am, the less confirmation I receive. What does this mean? I think it means that I am tarrying when I should be moving. God has told me to do something, and I agreed. I obeyed Him and I said "yes" to His voice. I haven't moved, though, and He is waiting for me to take that next step of faith. He is waiting to move forward, but He will not move until I start moving. It is up to me to start the process, it is up to me to get things moving forward.

This is the "rubber meets the road" part of faith. Sometimes God asks us to do something and He gives us His promise to help us do it. We struggle with what He is asking because we don't get it or understand it completely. It is normal, it is human, but it is not faith. Faith tells us to walk on without full knowledge of what will be, without confirmation of the outcome. Faith says "I AM enough. Trust Me, and I will lead you."

I am choosing to obey His voice this day. I am choosing to go where He sends me, to live where He tells me to live, to do the work He has called me to do. I am choosing to obey, to walk, and to be faithful to Him.

God is good all the time, and His mercy endures forever. Amen.

No comments: