June 22, 2014

Interesting turn of events...

Today has been a good day. God is good, all the time, so very good -- but today has been especially good for me. It is not that anything spectacular has happened, in fact, today was pretty normal, well within the scope of my "normal." It was just that I experienced a wonderful sense of God's presence today, in a most unusual way, and that experience has left me feeling very upbeat and positive. What a good thing it is to be able to come into the presence of the Lord:

Psalm 16:11 - You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever.

Let me explain...

I have blogged about my Crisis Communication class and how I have to complete an Image and Reputation Management project this week. I chose to focus on my church, out of practical reasons, because I needed to have access to an organization where I could meet with leaders and gather information about their crisis communication plan (or lack thereof). I have been able to use my church for my projects and papers, praise God, which has made it possible for me to complete the assignments in my doctoral classes. I didn't plan to continue to use my church, but with this latest class focus on crisis, it just made sense to continue to focus on how I could apply my learning from class to real-world situations.

Today, in between our first and second services, our board chairperson and several board members met with members to discuss our crisis and the continued loss of leadership. We had about 35 people, spanning a good demographic of the church, show up to ask questions and get some "news" on what the board plans to do to stabilize our leadership crisis. The good news is that everything that was discussed today aligns with the reading text in my crisis class. I mean it was spot on, and that means for me, that my project got a huge boost in the arm, so to speak. In short, what I was going to propose is already being considered as next steps. This means that while I still have to present these suggestions "in theory," I am actually getting to see the process working out in real-life. It is so exciting to see God work in this way. He is leading our board members and in our meeting today there was no sense of worry, of doubt, or of fear.  In fact, I would say that the tenor of the meeting was calm and peaceful. It was more like "concerned" but with faith in God's leading and direction. I am so jazzed that the environment amidst the leadership crisis is so positive. This is a huge change from February, when the board announced that they were letting our lead pastor go due to financial crisis. Yes, we have had pretty severe membership drops since then, but it seems that the members who chose to stay seem to be OK with what has happened. I talked with some today and they are like "well, we just have to pull together and fill in the gaps where leadership is missing." I was so amazed at the attitude and willingness of people to step up and do whatever needs to be done. How encouraging to see the people of God doing what is right during a time of great stress and trial. God is good, so very good!


Plans for tonight: Rocking and rolling on this project. I need to get 3/4 of the way through it so that I can finish it up tomorrow. I feel confident that I can do this tonight and still get to bed at a decent time. Praying for guidance now as I continue to work on this project. May the Lord be honored with my work, and may His will be done with this project and the plans He has in mind for me this good day.

No comments: