July 12, 2014

Trust in the Lord

Blessings from beautiful Southern California! It is so nice to be out of the desert heat. The weather in Phoenix is turning from our normal high with low humidity to our summer high with high humidity. We are in the start of our Monsoon season, and between now (July 4) through the end of August, our days are hot and sticky with strong thunderstorms. Arizonans actually like the summer weather. We complain a lot about our hot summers, but truthfully, we love our weather -- all of our weather. Still, the heat and humidity combination can become overbearing at times so most Phoenicians plan to take some of their summer elsewhere. My summer has consisted of a week in VA and now a long weekend in So. California.

It is also a blessing to be with family this weekend. I usually get to see my brothers every couple months (well, two of my three brothers), and now that we are all getting older, it is more important than ever to be able to spend time together. Just yesterday my SIL was saying that she will be turning 60 next year. My oldest brother will be 60 the following year. I am not sure why it never dawned on me that they would be 60 so soon, but I guess it is just denial on my part. My parents are both 81, and while they have some health challenges, they are both still active and doing well. My brothers are 59, 57, and 54. I think I will always see them as being young men in their 20s and 30s.

As I consider my life, where I am right now, and how I fit into the grand scheme of things (God's plans as well as part of the life of my family), I stand in awe of God and the power He has to work things out in my life. I am blessed, so very blessed. I am favored, and I know it (not to brag, it is just that I see His favor working through my life). God is providing blessing upon blessing to me every single day. I see it, I feel it, I experience it. I am noticing how He moves, how things change moment by moment, and I experience the change in dynamic ways. It is exciting to see these changes. I never know what to expect, and I am OK with not knowing everything. In fact, I have come to expect things to change, and I look forward to this change (even though I don't like it at times because I feel uncomfortable when He moves).

Change is good. Change can bring new opportunities, new experiences, and new possibilities. There is growth in times of change, and there is the ability to learn how to be flexible, to be mold-able, and to be adaptable. I have grown over the past couple years, and while the experience was not always pleasant, I can now say that through every valley and every mountain top, I have learned a valuable lesson. I have learned to trust in the Lord. I have learned that He is trustworthy, and I have learned that trusting in other people is not as difficult as previously thought. In truth, I have always struggled with trust, and I believe this is why the Lord has consistently used experiences where I had to rely on and trust Him to train me up, to build me into the woman of His own choosing. Yes, I have learned to trust again, and although I am not perfect in doing so all the time, I am getting better at trusting each day. I am improving, I am growing, and I am becoming more trusting of others, trusting of God, and in some ways, trusting of myself.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.


No comments: