August 16, 2014

One Step at a Time

Today is an awesome day! I woke up feeling well (hooray!) and with a strong sense of peace covering me (inside and out). I had a good night's rest too -- which is a blessing -- so I woke up rested.

My day started off slow and easy, just the way I like a Saturday to be. I was able to sleep in, laze about, drink my coffee and enjoy the lovely summer weather (not too hot, too early in the day). At noon, I headed over to get my hair trimmed at the salon. Note the word "trimmed" as underlined. My desire was to get my hair trimmed (aka, lop off about 3 inches from the length), and add in some layers and bangs. I didn't expect to come out short 6-7 inches, but there you go!

The gal who cut my hair did a really nice job, but she kept saying she had to "texturize" my hair because of all the curl that is underneath. My hair is very fine, but thick. I have A LOT of hair. I always hear the same comment whenever I go to get it cut -- "WOW! You have so much hair!" Yes, I do.

I have wanted to get my hair styled for a while now. In fact, I had planned on doing this prior to going to VA this summer. The Spring semester crashed down on me, and before I knew it May was gone, and I was on my way to Regent without any trim. Summer blasted past me, and I found myself staring into the fall start of the school year with a lot more hair than I wanted. Thankfully, I was able to get in today, and while my hair is shorter than what I wanted, it actually looks really nice.

So in addition to the hair cut and lunch (with Mom), I had to do some shopping at Target, and complete my Power Point presentation for Monday. As I was created my PPTs for this week, I decided that I would choose a verse to signify my teaching this fall. I chose this verse for Arizona Christian University:

1 Corinthians 10:31 - So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything to the glory of God.

The great thing about Arizona Christian is that I get to teach what is called "covenantal communication" or a type of communication that integrates faith into all contexts of communicative practices. ACU expects faculty to pray before each class, to pray with students, and to use Scripture as part of the weekly class room and lesson plans. I love this requirement, and as such, I decided that framing my teaching through one particular lens will add consistency not only to what I am teaching, but also to how I teach my students.

Therefore, as I approach the fall teaching schedule, I am considering everything I do as a reflection of my relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. I will teach, I will mentor, I will guide -- all in an effort to bring Glory to God through my actions, my attitude, and my attention. May the Lord always be first in everything I do, and may I strive to be a faithful and obedient representative of His Grace to my little corner of the world.

Amen, amen. Selah!

No comments: