September 8, 2014

Sing Unto The Lord

It is a rainy day in Phoenix, AZ. Hurricane Norbert or what was left of the Hurricane came up from the Baja last evening and dumped a lot of rain on the Phoenix metro area. It looks like a record for the most rain in one day will be broken, and it is possible that this will be considered either a 50 or 100 year flood. It is very uncommon for Phoenix to get more than 1-2 inches of rain at a time. In some places in the valley, rain fall totals have exceeded 3-5 inches so far. More rain is expected later today and into the week.

I love the rain! It is such a refreshing change from our normal "hot and sunny" weather. September has been a challenge for me, it normally is, and the hot and still humid temperatures make walking back and forth on campus difficult. The heat wears me out so the fact that classes were cancelled for the day -- well -- it was good news to my ears and my soul. I will probably have to teach one section today at ACU, but all classes at GCU have been cancelled for the day. God is good, so very good to me.

The Lord knows how stressed I am right now. I feel the weight of every detail laying upon my shoulders. I know He has me well-covered, yet the weight at times seems crushing. I know that the Lord doesn't give us more than we can bear, but right now, physically speaking, I feel as though I am at that breaking point. The physical demands of school and full-time teaching has taken its toll on me. I feel that I am unable to keep up with the workload, and as a result, the pressure to accomplish all the tasks assigned to me, seems insurmountable.

The Lord knows me well. He knows how much I can handle -- of this I am certain. However, it is days like today when I feel so tired, so out of it, so unable to perform well. I am tired, so very tired, all the time. Today, I am tired. I am finding the task of prepping for my teaching to be overwhelming to me. Lesson planning and teacher prep is taking all my time -- hours of my time -- and sitting at the computer for hours on end is not helping my back, neck and shoulders. My eyes are tired all the time, and my headaches. I remember how I felt when I was designing websites full-time. I felt this exact same way.

So what do I do? Well, I need to remember who is in control of my life, and I need to look to the One who is able to do all things through me (Christ). I know that I am at the end of myself, the end of my abilities, therefore, I rest in His ability to accomplish what I cannot do.

Psalm 13:5-6 in The Message says,

I’ve thrown myself headlong into your arms—
I’m celebrating your rescue.
I’m singing at the top of my lungs,
I’m so full of answered prayers.
Yes, I have committed my way to the Lord. I have thrown myself headlong into His loving arms, and I am celebrating His rescue of me. I am weary, yet I sing to the Lord. I rejoice in the bounty of His answered prayers!


No comments: